Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Edwin Best Collection

 Collection
Identifier: CSWS-0163

This collection features military documents, photographs, maps, and memorabilia from Edwin Best's service with the 618th Ordinance Ammunition Company in the European Theater during World War II. The material is arranged by format.

Series I: Ordnance School Papers includes notes from the publications division and ammunitions section of the Ordnance School.

Series II: Military Documents features several reports and ammunition listings from Best's divisions.

Series III: War Memorabilia includes ephemera and objects from Best's service.

Series IV: Publications consists of published items like books, manuals, and more.

Photographs includes

Series V: Maps and Photographs includes photos from Best's time in France including Normandy and Bricqueville-sur-Mer (many of these are photocopies). Also included are maps of the area around Omaha Beach at Normandy, France and two sketched maps.

Dates

  • 1914-1955

Language

English.

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.25 Linear Feet (9 folders)

Abstract

This collection features military documents, photographs, maps, and memorabilia from Edwin Best's service with the 618th Ordinance Ammunition Company in the European Theater during World War II.

Biographical/Historical Note

Edwin Best served during World War II in the Engineering Corps of the 618th Ordnance Ammunition Company with the U. S. Army. Best was stationed primarily in France during the war.

Previous Citation

This collection was previously listed as part of MS.2012.

Acquisition Note

This collection was donated through the University of Tennessee's Center for the Study of War and Society.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480