Chi Delta Crescent and Philo Star Newsletters
Published from 1882-1884, this set of issues includes volume 2-3, as well as issues from the Philo Star's volume 1 and 2. Subjects of these newsletters include activities and happenings on the University of Tennessee campus, administrative news, opinion sections, essays, prose, and poetry. The editors for the Chi Delta Crescent at the time were Editor-in-Chief Wm. G. McAdoo Jr., Associate Editors J.N. Bogart and Jno. Wooten, Local Editors, W.B. Kennedy and D.R. Coward.
Conditions Governing Access
Manuscript and University Archives collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 24 hours is needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet
This collection contains a bound series of newsletters published monthly in the 1880s by the Chi Delta Literary Society at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Each issue has editorials, essays, poetry, news, event announcements, and local advertisements.
The first literary society at the University of Tennessee was founded in 1826. It was originally called the Republican Dialectic Society but changed its name to the Dialectic Adelphic Society in 1835 and again to the Chi Delta Literary Society in 1836. An opposition party, the Philomathesian Literary Club, quickly formed. These societies were the university's main social centers prior to the Civil War. Students gave original orations at their weekly meetings, which focused on political, historical, social, and economic topics. After the Civil War, both societies published journals of essays, poetry, and university news.