J. Fred Baumann Collection
This collection includes the manuscripts, self-published book, and memoirs written by World War II Fighter Pilot J. Fred Baumann. Baumann wrote extensively about his experience in flight school and WWII. Also included are a reprinted copy of a year book, a reprinted copy of a booklet, and seven photographs.
- 1942-1945, 1995
The material in this collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.5 Linear Feet (8 folders)
This collection includes the manuscripts, self-published book, and memoirs written by World War II Fighter Pilot J. Fred Baumann.
Joseph Frederick Baumann was born to Joseph Frederick and Halle (Harwood) Baumann in Knoxville, Tennessee, on August 28, 1923. He graduated from Knoxville High School in 1942 and studied at the University of Tennessee before serving in the 52nd Fighter Group of the Army Air Corps as a P-51 pilot during World War II. After being discharged, Baumann completed his studies and graduated with his B.S. in Business Administration in 1948. For most of his professional career, he worked with the J.C. Penney Company in such cities as Knoxville, Jacksonville, Fla., Macon, Ga., and Miami, Fla. Baumann was also an outdoor enthusiast, spending sixty-one summers at his Elkmont cottage and participating actively in the Appalachian Club. In addition, he took an interest in military history and wrote a number of articles for the Air Force Museum Magazine as well as a memoir entitled From Freshman to Fighter Pilot. Baumann died in Knoxville on December 22, 2008. He was survived by his wife, Mary (Shankland) Baumann, and children, Beverly Coleman and Joseph Frederick Baumann III.
This collection consists of eight folders.
This collection was previously listed as parts of MS.1764 and MS.2012.
This collection was donated through the University of Tennessee’s Center for the Study of War and Society.