Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Knoxville Gardens Slides

 Collection
Identifier: MS-1324

A collection of hand-colored glass slides depicting ornamental gardens in the Knoxville, Tennessee, area in the early 20th century. The slides feature a variety of garden styles, plants, flowers, and foliage. Some of the slides are credited to Knoxville photographer, Jim Thompson, and it is possible that he produced all of them.

Dates

  • circa 1930

Language

The material in this collection is in English.

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

1.5 Linear Feet

Abstract

A collection of hand-colored glass slides depicting ornamental gardens in the Knoxville, Tennessee, area in the early 20th century. The slides feature a variety of garden styles, plants, flowers, and foliage. Some of the slides are credited to Knoxville photographer, Jim Thompson, and it is possible that he produced all of them.

Biographical/Historical Note

Mrs. A.C. Bruner, an eminent member of the Knoxville Garden Club, donated the collection to the UT Libraries. The Knoxville Garden Club was organized in 1923 and was admitted nine years later to the Garden Club of America. Members of the club not only created and showed their own residential gardens but also worked throughout the Knoxville community to sponsor horticulture programs, host civic plantings, and support many other beautification efforts. In 1955, the club established the Dogwood Trails, which evolved into the Dogwood Arts Festival, an annual celebration of the area's culture and natural beauty that today attracts thousands of visitors.

Arrangement

Collection consists of three boxes. The collection contains two copies of one set of slides and is organized by the numbers found on these originals. There are also 35 mm modern copies of these slides.

Acquisition Note

Mrs. A. C. Bruner donated this collection to the University of Tennessee's Special Collections Library in January of 1987.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480