Skip to main content


Special Collections Online at UT

College of Law Collection

Identifier: AR-0802

  • Staff Only

This collection contains materials published by and for the University of Tennessee's College of Law. It contains materials from the 1890s through the 2000s, but the bulk of the materials come from the late twentieth century. Some of the materials include alumni directories, faculty publications, student newspapers, and conference publications, all published by and for the College of Law.


  • 1890-2013
  • Majority of material found within 1980 - 1990

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite and must be requested in advance. See for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.

Conditions Governing Use

The UT Libraries claims only physical ownership of most material in the collections. Persons wishing to broadcast or publish this material must assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants on for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.


7.25 Linear Feet


This is a collection of publications by the University of Tennessee's College of Law faculty, students, or alumni, that discuss matters pertinent to each group. Some of the publications in this collection date from the 1890s and have items from as recent as 2013.

Biographical/Historical Note

The University of Tennessee's College of Law was created in 1890 and graduated its first class in 1891. It was originally located in South College (on the Hill), but was moved to Tennessee Hall in 1927 and to the George C. Taylor Law Center in 1950. By 1997, the original building was completely renovated and a new addition was added. The College began publishing the Tennessee Law Review in 1922, and it served as the Tennessee Bar Association's official publication until 1953. By 1937, the College was one of only two institutions in Tennessee accredited by the American Bar Association. The College opened its Legal Clinic in 1947, and today the clinic is the longest-running one in the country.


The collection contains 17 boxes and is arranged in the following series:

Missing Title

  1. Alumni Directiory, 1894-2005
  2. Alumni Headnotes, 1973-1999
  3. Announcements/Dedications, 1950-1972
  4. Annual Reports, 1988-1995
  5. Applicant Guides, 1995-2011
  6. Association of Law Women Conference Publications, 1998
  7. Bulletins, 1968-1995
  8. Catalogs/Student Handbooks, 1995-1999
  9. Faculty Publications, 1995-2003
  10. The Forum, 1963-1989
  11. Homecoming Reunion Publications, 1998-2000
  12. Lawyers of the Future, 1979-2001
  13. Lawyers of the Present, undated
  14. Records of the Law School, 1940-1949
  15. Taylor Times, 1986-1994

Acquisition Note

The University of Tennessee College of Law transferred this collection to University Archives.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA