Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Davidson County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions Writ

 Collection
Identifier: MS-1208

This writ instructs the Sheriff of Davidson County to sell 1,000 acres of land belonging to Martin Armstrong and bring the proceeds to the January 1795 session of the Davidson County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions so that the money can be applied to the 200 pounds that Bennett Searcy recovered against Armstrong during the court's previous session. The reverse contains a calculation of the fees Searcy incurred during the trial and that Armstrong has been ordered to pay.

Dates

  • 1794 October 13

Language of Materials

This material is in English.

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)

Abstract

This writ instructs the Sheriff of Davidson County to sell 1,000 acres of land belonging to Martin Armstrong and bring the proceeds to the January 1795 session of the Davidson County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions so that the money can be applied to the 200 pounds that Bennett Searcy recovered against Armstrong during the court's previous session. The reverse contains a calculation of the fees Searcy incurred during the trial and that Armstrong has been ordered to pay.

Biographical/Historical Note

Davidson County is the oldest county in Middle Tennessee. It was named in 1783 after a Revolutionary War hero, William L. Davidson. Daniel Williams was appointed the first Sheriff of Davidson County in 1783, and Nicholas P. Hardiman was the Sheriff at the time this writ was issued.

Arrangement

This collection consists of a single folder.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480