Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Knoxville Railway and Light Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: MS-1502

This collection houses vouchers, journal entries, and account records documenting the activities of the Knoxville Park Association, the Knoxville Electric Light and Power Company, the Knoxville Street Railway, and the Knoxville Traction Company between 1891 and 1920. Some of the more interesting items in this collection show Knoxville's rapid growth during the early 20th century, including accounts of claims paid to customers injured while trying to alight the trolley, mules injured trying to get out of the way, and the Knoxville Electric Light and Power Company's social contributions (for example, a donation to the University of Tennessee to be used towards publication of the Volunteer and same when it is off the press.)

Dates

  • 1891-1920

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact Special Collections.

Extent

143 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection houses vouchers, journal entries, and account records documenting the activities of the Knoxville Park Association, the Knoxville Electric Light and Power Company, the Knoxville Street Railway, and the Knoxville Traction Company between 1891 and 1920.

Biographical/Historical Note

There were a number of different companies offering gas and electric service to the residents of Knoxville, Tennessee in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. These enterprises included the Knoxville Gas Light Company (organized in 1840), the Knoxville Gas Company (organized in 1903), the Knoxville Electric Light and Power company (organized in 1888), and the Knoxville Traction Company (organized in 1898). Beginning in 1890, Knoxville also had several electric streetcar lines. In 1905, all of the electric and transit companies were consolidated as the Knoxville Railway and Light Company.

Arrangement

Collection consists of 143 boxes.

Acquisition Note

The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) donated these papers to the University of Tennessee Libraries, Knoxville, Special Collections in 1952.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480