Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

ORNL Biology Division Collection

 Collection
Identifier: MS-1709

The ORNL Biology Division Collection consists primarily of materials documenting the Council for Research Planning in the Biological Sciences and the work of Alexander Hollaender. Hollaender directed ORNL's Biological Division from 1946 to 1966 and is responsible for much of the early research on radiation and mutation.

Dates

  • 1955-1988

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

1 Linear Feet

Abstract

The ORNL Biology Division Collection consists primarily of materials documenting the Council for Research Planning in the Biological Sciences and the work of Alexander Hollaender. Hollaender directed ORNL's Biological Division from 1946 to 1966 and is responsible for much of the early research on radiation and mutation.

Biographical/Historical Note

Originally known as Clinton Laboratory, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) was created in 1942 as part of the Manhattan Project. During World War II, the facility researched and produced the plutonium and enriched uranium used in the Fat Man and Little Boy nuclear weapons dropped Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945. When the war ended, ORNL concentrated on developing new types of atomic reactors and training nuclear engineers and scientists. As interest in atomic energy waned, ORNL expanded its programs to include environmental studies, biological studies, fusion, fossil fuel, renewable energy sources, high-energy physics, and robotics. Today, ORNL continues to form a vital part of East Tennessee's scientific and educational landscape.

Arrangement

Collection consists of one box.

Acquisition Note

This collection is property of the University of Tennessee Libraries, Knoxville, Special Collections.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480