Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Columbia Athenaeum Progress Report Regarding Lizzie Williams

 Collection
Identifier: MS-1783

The Columbia Athenaeum created this progress report for the information of Lizzie Williams' parent or guardian in November of 1873. Williams had been studying history, elocution, dictation, composition, arithmetic, algebra, natural philosophy, geology and mineralogy, piano, penmanship, and art. The report's reverse bears an advertisement for the school.

Dates

  • 1873 November

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet (one folder)

Abstract

The Columbia Athenaeum created this progress report for the information of Lizzie Williams' parent or guardian in November of 1873. Williams had been studying history, elocution, dictation, composition, arithmetic, algebra, natural philosophy, geology and mineralogy, piano, penmanship, and art. The report's reverse bears an advertisement for the school.

Biographical/Historical Note

Reverend Franklin G. Smith (1797-1866) founded the Columbia Athenaeum in Columbia, Tennessee in 1852. It was devoted to the cause of Female Education, on Christian Principles and taught young women all of the subjects that a contemporary young man would learn. The school boasted a substantial collection of natural history specimens, modern scientific equipment, a library of over 10,000 volumes, and a collection of fine art. Rev. Smith operated the school until his death and was succeeded by his wife, Sarah Ann (Davis) Smith (1811-1871), and later his son, Robert Davis Smith (1841-1912). In 1904, the school was closed and the property sold. The existing campus served as a high school until 1914, when everything except the rectory building was demolished to make way for the Columbia Central High School. The Smith family retained the rectory as a private residence until 1973, when Fannie Louise (Smith) Davis (1877-1984) donated it to the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities for the use of the people of Maury County.

Arrangement

This collection consists of a single folder.

Acquisition Note

Special Collections purchased this item in July of 1991.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480