Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Philip and Ruth Ewald Collection

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2093

Philip and Ruth Ewald collected these newspapers, maps, and various proposals, reports, and recommendations documenting the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The materials date from 1953 to 1984 and focus on a decision made in about 1965 to build a road on park land from Townsend to Bryson City. The collection also houses several drafts of a General Management Plan for the park and materials showing the discussion surrounding it.

Dates

  • 1953-1984

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

4.75 Linear Feet

Abstract

Philip and Ruth Ewald collected these newspapers, maps, and various proposals, reports, and recommendations documenting the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The materials date from 1953 to 1984 and focus on a decision made in about 1965 to build a road on park land from Townsend to Bryson City. The collection also houses several drafts of a General Management Plan for the park and materials showing the discussion surrounding it.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Smoky Mountains Hiking Club began as an informal hiking program sponsored by the YMCA boys' camp in Gatlinburg, Tennessee in 1924. The link with the YMCA was severed when eligibility for membership was expanded, and the club's numbers grew rapidly. Over the years, the Club has been active in establishing the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Appalachian Trail maintenance, and wilderness conservation in addition to organizing hikes and other outings in the Park.

Arrangement

This collection consists of three boxes.

Acquisition Note

Philip and Ruth Ewald donated this collection to the University of Tennessee Libraries, Knoxville, Special Collections.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480