Robert Houston Document
This document, signed by Tennessee's Secretary of State Robert Houston on June 12, 1811, certifies that James L. Armstrong was commissioned as a justice of the peace for Rutherford County on April 22, 1809.
- 1811 June 12
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite and must be requested in advance. See www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
Conditions Governing Use
The UT Libraries claims only physical ownership of most material in the collections. Persons wishing to broadcast or publish this material must assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants on www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
0.1 Linear Feet
This document was signed by Robert Houston, Tennessee's Secretary of State, on June 12, 1811 in Knoxville. It certifies that James L. Armstrong was commissioned as a justice of the peace for Rutherford County on April 22, 1809.
Robert Houston (1765-1834) moved to the Territory of the United States of America South of the River Ohio from the upstate of South Carolina in the 1790s, settling in what would become Knox County, Tenn. During the territorial period, Governor William Blount appointed him to a number of offices, including sheriff of the county (1793-1795) and collector of county and public taxes (1795-1796). After the admission of Tennessee into the Union in 1796, he continued to be active politically on the county level, serving at various times as sheriff, tax assessor, county trustee, and justice of the peace. From 1807-1811, he served as Secretary of State for Tennessee. In 1819, he was appointed by President James Monroe to run survey lines of tracts of land reserved to the Cherokee Nation in Tennessee, North Carolina, and Alabama. In addition to his political work, Houston also served as president of the Knoxville branch of the Bank of Tennessee and was a charter trustee of Knoxville's Blount College and Hampdon-Sidney Academy as well as the Knoxville Female Academy.
James L. Armstrong was one of the earliest settlers of Rutherford County in Middle Tennessee. He was also one of the first trained doctors in the area. Having studied in Lexington, Ky., Armstrong began practicing medicine in Murfreesboro in 1809. He served as a surgeon in the War of 1812 and played an active role in fighting a cholera epidemic in Murfreesboro in the 1830s.
Collection consists of a single folder.
This collection was purchased by Special Collections in July 2000.