Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Joseph C. Strong Journals
The first of the journals in this collection recounts Joseph C. Strong's service in the U. S. Navy aboard the warship Trumbull as it escorted other ships from London to the Caribbean in 1800 and 1801. The second larger journal tells of Strong's activities in and around Knoxville in 1816 as he helped to establish a Bible Society. Both of these journals are typewritten copies of the originals.
Musikalische 5 Cent Collection Songbook
This collection consists of a single German-language songbook entitled Musikalische 5 Cent Collection most likely dating from 1883. It provides the lyrics and music for three songs: Das Weihnachts=Licht (The Christmas Light), Wenn der Herr die Gefangenen Zions erloefen wird (When the Lord Delivers Zion's Captives) and Fortfestung (A Mighty Fortress). The final two pieces constitute a musical setting of Psalm 126. This copy was printed in Knoxville, Tennessee by Tilghman Haws.
Nashville Cholera Letter
This collection houses a letter written by a woman possibly named Sapphire to her sister Electa on March 20, 1874, sent from Nashville, Tennessee. She discusses a recent cholera epidemic in Nashville, as well as the weather, aging, and religion.
Samuel K. Carrigan Letter
This collection consists of a letter from Samuel K. Carrigan, sent on May 25, 1862 from Camp Mag Hill near Chattanooga, to his brother William A. Carrigan in Society Hill, South Carolina. He discusses his discontent with his fellow solider's irreligiousness and his desire to transfer into another unit, as well as the fighting in which he was involved.
Young People's Society of Christian Endeavor Scrapbook
A scrapbook containing articles from the Knoxville (TN) News Sentinel concerning local branches of the Young People's Society of Christian Endeavor (YPSCE). Walter C. Johnson, Sr., board member of the Knoxville branch, put the book together. The articles cover a variety of topics but mainly discuss the YPSCE convention held in Washington, DC in July 1896.
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Cholera -- Tennessee -- Nashville. 1
- Christians -- Social networks -- Tennessee. 1
- Christians -- Tennessee. 1
- Confederate States of America. Army of Tennessee -- Artillery. 1
- France -- History -- 1789-1815. 1
- Nashville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Newspapers -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Sacred music -- Tennessee. 1
- Scrapbooks. 1
- Soldiers -- South Carolina -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Tennessee -- Religion. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1783-1809. 1
- United States. Navy -- History. 1 ∧ less