Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Alfred E. Waldo Letter
A single letter, written October 26, 1863, by Alfred Edward Waldo to his parents. In the letter, he details the defense of Knoxville, Tennessee against General James Longstreet's attack as well as writing of his rations and requesting for new clothes.
John Baxter Edmondson Claims
This collection includes four claims filed by John Baxter Edmondson on June 1, 1868 for compensation as a result of the Confederate Army using his Knox County, Tenn. farm for resources.
John W. Cleland Letters
This collection includes two handwritten letters by John Cleland, Union soldier during the Civil War, written to his family from outside Knoxville, Tenn. during February and March 1864.
John Watkins Letters and Poem
This collection consists primarily of two undated, fragmentary letters that John Watkins wrote during the Civil War. One is written on United States Sanitary Commission letterhead. These two items are accompanied by a poem entitled The Union, which Watkins apparently authored.
Sgt. William A. Smith Letter to J. O. Jones
A letter was written by Sgt. William A. Smith, Co. B 71 Ind. 6th Cav., on October 5, 1863. He talks about Union occupation north of Knoxville, TN and the increased price of goods and foods in the Confederate states as oppsosed to the Union. He also writes about a brigade of women marching and carrying the U.S. flag. The letter was submitted to Mr. J. O. Jones, postmaster of Terre Haute, Indiana, in hopes that he could get it published in the local newspaper.
Strawberry Plains Bridge (Tenn.) Stereoview
This undated stereoview photograph pictures the Strawberry Plains Bridge during the Civil War. Also seen are the ruins of a nearby house and a soldier standing guard.
William W. Fish Civil War Letter
A handwritten letter from soldier William W. Fish dated January 25, 1864 and written from a camp five miles outside of Knoxville, Tenn.
William W. Fish Correspondence
The material consists of two handwritten letters by William W. Fish during February 1864.
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 5
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 5
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 4
- Correspondence. 2
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 2
- Morristown (Tenn.) 1
- Soldiers -- Indiana -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Massachusetts -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee, East -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Food supply. 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 111th (1862-1865). 1 ∧ less