Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
A Digest of all the Cases Reported in Tennessee and of the Cases Contained in Haywood's North Carolina Reports
A single notebook of Charles Ready's, titled A Digest of all the Cases Reported in Tennessee and of the Cases Contained in Haywood's North Carolina Reports and dated October 10, 1827, in which he has handwritten legal information gleaned from cases reported in Tennessee as well as reports from North Carolina by John Haywood. The information is arranged by topic and the topics are listed alphabetically.
This collection contains an 1822 bond for a $3,500 suit brought by Bennett Smith against the estate of his son-in-law John Hutchings. From Hutchings, Andrew Jackson's business partner, Smith sought to recover a debt arising over the sale of slaves. Andrew Jackson represented Hutchings' son, Andrew Jackson Hutchings, as guardian in the suit.
This collection contains Donald F. Paine's research papers documenting four early 20th century Tennessee murder trials, including the supposed death of Tom Buntin in 1931, a possible murder committed by Dr. J. Herman Feist in 1906, the conviction and pardon of Claude Nichols in 1955 and in the 1970s, and the numerous trials and eventual acquittal of Bertie Wrather in the 1940s.
This collection consists of Pryor Lea's license to practice law in Tennessee, dated June 10, 1817. Lea was a politician and railroad entrepreneur. He served in the 2nd district for Tennessee in the House of Representatives.
This collection contains the personal correspondence and professional papers of Walter E. Fischer, lawyer in Clinton, Tennessee. Much of the material documents his efforts leading up to and during the desegregation of schools in Clinton in the late 1950s.
- Law -- Tennessee. 4
- Lawyers -- Tennessee. 2
- Anderson County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Clinton (Tenn.) -- Race relations. 1
- Court records -- North Carolina. 1
- Court records -- Tennessee. 1
- Courts -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Courts -- United States. 1
- Estates (Law) -- Tennessee. 1
- Legal documents -- United States. 1
- Nashville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Politicians -- Tennessee. 1
- Racism -- Tennessee -- Clinton. 1
- School integration -- Tennessee -- Clinton -- History. 1
- Slavery -- Tennessee 1
- Trials (Murder) -- Tennessee. 1 ∧ less