Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
This two-act satire, entitled "A Stitch in Time -or- Yankee Doodle's Progress," is narrated by Poor Richard and stars a young man named Yankee Doodle. It begins in 1775 on Sir Lott of Pott's Virginia plantation and goes on to depict portions of the Revolutionary War and the hardships of life (particularly those faced by women and African-Americans) in early America.
This collection houses manuscripts, correspondence, photographs, cassette tapes, videotapes, trial transcripts, and other materials documenting Alex Haley's literary career. Of particular interest are those materials showing Haley's Roots and the subsequent plagiarism trials related to the book.
The collection consists of a letter written from F. W. Claybrooke to My Dear Brother on March 15, 1858. The sender's location not known, but it was sent to Louisa County, Virginia. The letter details some advice for crop harvesting and the such. Also in the letter is a mention of the price of slaves.
Joseph E. Clemm began this diary on June 22, 1819 with the intention of making the gift of this journal to him [the reader] at some future period. The early part of this work is devoted to Clemm's activities in Augusta, Georgia. Later on, Clemm describes a trip to Tennessee to collect an overdue debt, during which he passes through the Cherokee Nation.
This collection contains correspondence, record books, memoranda, printed material, and other records concerning the Spring Hill and Melrose plantations from 1856 to 1898.
In this letter, M. M. Brien of Smithville, Tennessee asks Huntsville, Alabama attorneys Parsons & Walker for news about the case of Tubbs and Reynolds vs. Driver et. al. He also provides some additional information about the slaves whose labor is disputed in the case.
This collection contains plantation record books from the McCalley Plantation in Huntsville, Alabama. The record books contain information on the day to day operations of the plantations as well as inventories of the farm.
- Slavery -- Southern States. 6
- Slavery -- Southern States -- History. 2
- African American authors. 1
- African Americans -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Cattle -- Breeding -- Tennessee. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Dairy products industry -- United States. 1
- Farm management -- Tennessee. 1
- Farmers -- Tennessee. 1
- Franklin (Tenn.) -- History 1
- Georgia -- Description and travel. 1
- Horses -- Breeding -- Tennessee. 1
- Horses -- Tennessee. 1
- Legal services. 1
- Nashville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Plantations -- Alabama. 1
- Shelbyville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Slave trade -- United States -- History. 1
- Southern States -- Commerce. 1
- Tennessee -- Description and travel. 1
- Tennessee -- Genealogy. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- 19th century. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- 20th century. 1
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783. 1
- Women -- Southern States -- History. 1 ∧ less