Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
John Forsyth wrote these two letters to his wife, Martha (Swanger) Forsyth, while serving with Company G of the 97th Ohio Infantry. The first is dated September 12, 1863 from Bridgeport, Alabama amidst the Chickamauga Campaign and the second is dated May 27, 1864 from Chattanooga, Tennessee.
This collection consists of correspondence from Levi Dysinger, a Union soldier, to his wife Harriet in Paulding County, Ohio. The letters are written from Huntsville, Alabama and date from March to May of 1865. They recount how Private Dysinger's brothers, Henry and Isaac, contracted (and eventually died from) measles while soldiers.
This collection houses 22 letters written between various members of the Wildermuth family during the Civil War. Brothers John, Henry, and Eli Wildermuth wrote much of this correspondence while serving in the Union Army and discuss such topics as life in the South, the battles they have experienced, their living conditions, and their desire to return home to Wisconsin.
William T. Presley wrote this letter to his wife Henry (Henryetta) on September 27, 1862 from camp in or near Knoxville, Tennessee. Presley mentions that her last letter caused tears to stream down his cheeks. He remarks on the poor condition of several men in his camp, saying that one looks like an old shoe. He goes on to tell Henryetta that she must hire someone to build a pen for the hogs and try go with out killing any of them til hog Billing time.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 4
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 3
- Soldiers -- Ohio -- Correspondence. 2
- Confederate States of America. Army. Alabama Cavalry Battalion, 1st. 1
- Georgia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Memphis (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Perryville, Battle of, Perryville, Ky., 1862. 1
- Richmond (Va.) -- History. 1
- Savannah (Ga.) -- History -- Siege, 1864. 1
- Soldiers -- Alabama -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Wisconsin -- Correspondence. 1
- Stones River, Battle of, Murfreesboro, Tenn., 1862-1863. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 16th (1862-1865). Company G. 1
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 25th (1862-1865). 1
- Vicksburg (Miss.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 1 ∧ less