Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
A single letter, written October 26, 1863, by Alfred Edward Waldo to his parents. In the letter, he details the defense of Knoxville, Tennessee against General James Longstreet's attack as well as writing of his rations and requesting for new clothes.
This collection consists of one letter by David J. Durand to his sisters, written February 21, 1864, describing the Federal Army's preparedness for a Confederate attack in Knoxville, TN.
In a letter written February 4, 1865 from the Officers' Hospital in Knoxville, Tenn., to Colonel Cross, George W. Douglas writes concerning his desire for an artifical leg to help him walk.
John McNickle Laird, Jr. of the Ohio 124th Infantry Regiment (U. S.) writes to his mother, Julia Laird, from a camp near Knoxville, Tennessee and from Marietta, Georgia.
While encamped in the Cumberland Ford area of Knox County, Tenn., John W. Hammer serving in the 16th Ohio Infantry Company K writes to a friend named Annie. In this letter dated June 4, 1862, he describes the fortifications that are in place to protect them from the Confederates. His company moves toward the Confederate camps and skirmishes occur.
This letter is written by Rosecrans to a doctor at Medical Department Gen. Orders No. 2 on July 15th, 1863. It discusses military politics, the occupation of Knoxville by Bragg, and well wishes.
A letter was written by Sgt. William A. Smith, Co. B 71 Ind. 6th Cav., on October 5, 1863. He talks about Union occupation north of Knoxville, TN and the increased price of goods and foods in the Confederate states as oppsosed to the Union. He also writes about a brigade of women marching and carrying the U.S. flag. The letter was submitted to Mr. J. O. Jones, postmaster of Terre Haute, Indiana, in hopes that he could get it published in the local newspaper.
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 6
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 5
- Correspondence. 4
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 4
- Knox County (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- Soldiers -- Ohio -- Correspondence. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns. 2
- Michigan -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Soldiers -- Indiana -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Massachusetts -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Michigan -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee, East -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 124th (1861-1864). 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 16th (1861-1864). 1
- United States. Army. Tennessee Infantry Regiment, 8th (1862-1865). 1 ∧ less