Showing Collections: 1 - 11 of 11
Archibald D. Paul Diaries
This collection consists of two handwritten diaries belonging to Archibald D. Paul with daily recordings of his activity on his farm between 1834 and 1864.
Civil Rights Collection
E. P. Nelson Diary
This diary was written by E. P. Nelson from January to August 1871, with financial records in the first few pages from 1858 to 1860.
East Tennessee Farmer's Convention Program and Proceedings
This collections consists of programs and proceedings from the East Tennessee Farmer's Convention. The manuscripts range from 1872 to 1941, with significant gaps between years (see Scope and Contents Note for more information). The programs specify the times of activities, and the proceedings are a compilation of newspaper clippings, attendance sheets, and type-written accounts of speeches.
East Tennessee Farmers’ Convention Programs and Minutes
George A. Nelson Letter
In this letter to his brother, James R. Nelson, George Nelson writes that he received the money James sent and has used it to pay a man to whom he owed money for land. Nelson goes on to report that he has just finished planting his corn and that there have been a number of fires in the area, including one that caused between $5,000 and $6,000 of damage. He closes by sending his love to his family and imploring his brother to write soon.
J. Fain Anderson Letter
In this letter to his son, William Montgomery Anderson, J. Fain Anderson discusses the history of several schools (specifically Tusculum College and Washington College), warns against eating certain berries, gives his opinions on the Farmers' Convention, and relates family news (primarily about Henry Wheeler Anderson).
Jacob L. Thomas Private Herd Register
This register, belonging to Jacob L. Thomas, contains the records for 44 Jersey cows. It begins by listing each one with its birth date, sire, and dam. After many blank pages, it gives Butter Test records for each cow, and after many more blank pages it ends with their pedigree charts.
Lucius Polk Brown Collection
This collection contains correspondence, record books, memoranda, printed material, and other records concerning the Spring Hill and Melrose plantations from 1856 to 1898.
Mary K. Barden Photograph Album
This collection is the photograph album of Mary K. Barden. These are photographs of rural farmers, teachers, and missionaries in Tennessee from 1915 to 1925. These pictures were taken in Hartford, Tennessee and its surrounding areas.
Thomas Franklin Joyce Papers
This collection consists of the farm records and other agricultural-related items of Thomas Franklin Joyce who owned and operated two farms in Winchester, Tennessee for a period of nearly four decades.
- Subject: Farmers -- Tennessee. X
- Farmers -- Tennessee. 10
- Agriculture -- Tennessee. 3
- African American farmers -- Tennessee. 2
- Agricultural laborers. 2
- Farm Life -- Appalachian Region, Southern. 2
- Haywood County (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- African American college students -- Tennessee. 1
- African American teachers. 1
- African Americans -- Education. 1
- African Americans -- Tennessee. 1
- Cattle -- Breeding -- Tennessee. 1
- Cattle -- Tennessee. 1
- Civil rights -- Mississippi. 1
- Civil rights -- Periodicals. 1
- Civil rights -- Tennessee. 1
- Civil rights movements -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century. 1
- Cocke County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Dairy products industry -- United States. 1
- Davidson County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Diaries. 1
- Education -- Tennessee, East. 1
- Education -- Tennessee. 1
- Farm management -- Tennessee. 1
- Franklin County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Horses -- Breeding -- Tennessee. 1
- Horses -- Tennessee. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- Race relations. 1
- Methodists -- Tennessee. 1
- Mississippi Freedom Project. 1
- Photograph albums -- United States. 1
- Photographs. 1
- Rhea County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- School integration -- Southern States. 1
- Segregation in higher education -- United States. 1
- Slavery -- Southern States. 1
- Southern States -- Social conditions -- Periodicals. 1
- Student movements -- Tennessee. 1
- Teachers -- Tennessee. 1
- Tennessee, East. 1
- Tusculum College -- History. 1
- Washington College (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Women teachers -- Tennessee. 1
- X, Malcolm, 1925-1965. Speeches. Selections 1 ∧ less