Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Henry Van Pelt Letter to W. Thomas Park
Henry Van Pelt wrote this letter to Franklin merchant W. Thomas Park to ask his help in starting a new career. He tells Park that he wants to better his family's situation, which was degraded by his alcoholism, but has so far been unable to secure a position that would allow him to do so. Van Pelt goes on to lament the pain that he has caused his family, expound upon the evils of drink, and detail his qualifications as a pumpmaker and as a printer.
Jennie McEwen Collection
This collection consists of one photograph whose subject is identified as Jennie McEwen.
Joseph E. Clemm Journal
Joseph E. Clemm began this diary on June 22, 1819 with the intention of making the gift of this journal to him [the reader] at some future period. The early part of this work is devoted to Clemm's activities in Augusta, Georgia. Later on, Clemm describes a trip to Tennessee to collect an overdue debt, during which he passes through the Cherokee Nation.
Tennessee State Guard Broadside
This small leaflet responds to citizen concerns by assuring them that the State Guard will in no way molest law abiding citizens.
W. D. Carnes Letter
In a March 23, 1861 letter to his children, W. D. Carnes, then president of Franklin College in Franklin, Tenn., writes of an illness sweeping through the school, fundraising activities, and news of three students who were violent Secessionists leaving the school.
- Franklin (Tenn.) -- History 4
- Broadsides 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Education -- Tennessee. 1
- Franklin (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Franklin College (Franklin, Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Georgia -- Description and travel. 1
- Nashville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Portrait photography 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- Tennessee. 1
- Recovering alcoholics -- Tennessee. 1
- Shelbyville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Slavery -- Southern States -- History. 1
- Tennessee -- Commerce. 1
- Tennessee -- Description and travel. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Williamson County (Tenn.) -- History 1 ∧ less