Showing Collections: 1 - 12 of 12
Campbell Wallace Papers
This collection houses personal and professional correspondence documenting Campbell Wallace's involvement with insurance and property, requests for financial aid, references, verification of character, financial backing, railroads, private businesses, and stock companies.
Conference Between the Cherokee Nation and the United States Transcript of Minutes
A 17-page typescript transcription of a May 1795 conference between the Cherokee Nation and the United States.
David Henley Letter to Richard Harrison
In this letter, David Henley reports that he has forwarded Crozier and King's accounts for sundry articles of merchandize furnished for the Indian and Quarter Masters Departments and for the use of my office from April to December 1798. In all, the men are owed $451.99, which may be paid to their attorney, Samuel Meeker.
David Henley Letters
These six documents show David Henley's appointment and service as an Agent of the United States Department of War in the Territory South of the River Ohio from 1793 to 1797. Among the subjects they discuss are pay for the militia stationed in Henley's vicinity, military procurement, the sale of two enslaved individuals, and the actions of local Native Americans.
Diary of a Disbursing Agent
A handwritten diary, written between 1834 and 1838, by a Disbursing Agent for the removal of the Cherokee Indians from the southeastern United States. The diary follows the author's travels through the southeast in the time leading up to the removal and documents their work and interactions with the Cherokee people.
J. C. Spencer Letter
In this letter, Secretary of War J. C. Spencer asks Richard Smith, Esquire, to pay $5,034.07 in dividends on a loan made by several Indian tribes. These tribes, and the amounts due each of them, are listed at the end of the letter.
James Broderick Letter
James Collingsworth Account
This collection contains one detailed bill from 1797 for James Collingsworth for "smith work done by him for the Cherokee" as he was ordered to do by General Robertson.
James Sevier Letter
This document is a typed copy of a letter that James Sevier wrote to L. C. Draper on August 19, 1839. In it, Sevier discusses his and his father's service on the Appalachian frontier during the Revolutionary War, where they fought in the Battle of Kings Mountain and in several smaller campaigns against the Cherokee. He also briefly recounts conflicts between Native Americans and white people in the decade following the American victory.
O. P. Temple Papers
The O. P. Temple Papers consist of correspondence, legal and financial files, writings, newspaper clippings, awards, gifts, and photographs documenting the life and work of Knoxville businessman and politician Oliver P. Temple.
U.S. Congress Bills HR757, HR845, and HR916
This collection consists of the full texts of HR757, HR845, and HR916 which deal with finances associated with Indian affairs and Tennessee soldiers from the Second Seminole War.
William Conner Letter
In an October 25, 1837 letter to J. W. Campbell in Jackson, Tenn., General William Conner, a promoter for the town of Ashport on the Mississippi River, writes of the town's success and future growth. He also tells of finding Native American remains.
- Subject: Indians of North America. X
- Indians of North America -- Government relations -- 1789-1869. 4
- Indians of North America -- Relocation. 3
- Indians of North America -- Tennessee. 3
- Cherokee Indians. 2
- Slavery -- Tennessee 2
- United States. War Dept. 2
- Account books. 1
- Ashport (Tenn.) 1
- Blacksmiths -- Tennessee. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Southern States. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Tennessee. 1
- Cherokee Nation. 1
- Indians of North America -- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Indians of North America -- Wars -- 1750-1815. 1
- Indians of North America -- West (U.S.) -- Government relations. 1
- Indians of North America. 1
- King's Mountain, Battle of, S.C., 1780. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Land tenure -- Indiana. 1
- Land tenure -- Tennessee. 1
- Railroads -- Georgia -- History -- 19th century. 1
- Railroads -- Tennessee -- History -- 19th century. 1
- Soldiers -- Tennessee. 1
- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Tennessee -- Politics and government. 1
- Tennessee. Militia. 1
- Texas -- History -- Revolution, 1835-1836. 1
- Trail of Tears, 1838-1839. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 19th century. 1 ∧ less