Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
This collection consists of four ledger books that contain property and pension claims made by East Tennesseans following the Civil War.
The Henry Cherry Letters, 1864-1865, contain nine letters from Cherry, a Chaplain with the 10th Michigan Cavalry in the Civil War, to Amos Gould of Owosso, Mich., describing both military and civilian life in the Union Army during the Civil War. The majority of these letters were written from Knoxville, Tenn.
Jefferson Justice's handwritten report in September 1863 of items lost in transportation from Crab Orchard, Kentucky to Knoxville, Tennessee after the 1863 Siege of Knoxville; items mentioned include bread, coffee, and sugar.
This letter is written by Rosecrans to a doctor at Medical Department Gen. Orders No. 2 on July 15th, 1863. It discusses military politics, the occupation of Knoxville by Bragg, and well wishes.
In an October 29, 1863 letter to his friends and family at home in New Hampshire, John, a Union soldier in Knoxville, writes of traveling through East Tennessee.
The W. Gibbs McAdoo letter, written November 8, 1860, describes the mood in Knoxville, Tenn., after Lincoln's election. He also tells of an incident in which someone tied a tin bucket and a note reading "Going out of the Union" to a dog and turned it loose on Gay Street.
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 4
- Correspondence. 1
- Kentucky -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 1
- Maryville College -- History. 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- Tennessee. 1
- Secession -- Southern States. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Tennessee -- Politics and government -- 1861-1865. 1
- Tennessee -- Religion. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Food supply. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- United States. Army. Michigan Cavalry Regiment, 10th (1863-1865). 1 ∧ less