Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
This collection houses two letters that Union soldier Watson B. Smith wrote to his mother, Mary Amanda (Birchard) Smith, on September 23, 1863 and October 1, 1863. In them, Smith discusses Union operations in the Knoxville Campaign, life in headquarters, and news from the Battle of Chattanooga.
1863 September 23, 1863 October 1
This collection houses four letters that Watson B. Smith wrote to his family in Michigan from East Tennessee during August and September of 1863. In them, he discusses the Knoxville Campaign, battles with Confederate troops and guerillas, and dealings with the civilian population, which was mostly (but not entirely) sympathetic to the Union. He also discusses his duties in headquarters, including his temporary appointment as aide-de-camp. Several letters written to and from captured...
1863 June 28-September 17, undated
- Subject: Knoxville (Tenn.)
- Subject: Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Subject: Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Siege, 1863.
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Subject: Soldiers -- Michigan -- Correspondence.
Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863.