Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Alfred E. Waldo Letter
A single letter, written October 26, 1863, by Alfred Edward Waldo to his parents. In the letter, he details the defense of Knoxville, Tennessee against General James Longstreet's attack as well as writing of his rations and requesting for new clothes.
Rosecrans Letter to Medical Dept. G. O. No. 2
This letter is written by Rosecrans to a doctor at Medical Department Gen. Orders No. 2 on July 15th, 1863. It discusses military politics, the occupation of Knoxville by Bragg, and well wishes.
Sgt. William A. Smith Letter to J. O. Jones
A letter was written by Sgt. William A. Smith, Co. B 71 Ind. 6th Cav., on October 5, 1863. He talks about Union occupation north of Knoxville, TN and the increased price of goods and foods in the Confederate states as oppsosed to the Union. He also writes about a brigade of women marching and carrying the U.S. flag. The letter was submitted to Mr. J. O. Jones, postmaster of Terre Haute, Indiana, in hopes that he could get it published in the local newspaper.
Soldier Alexander B. Richards Civil War Letter
Personal correspondence between Union soldier Alexander B. Richards and his sister, Emaline Butcher of Murphysboro, Illinois, dated February 14, 1864. He details the Battle of Knoxville and Fort Sanders (Tenn.) which took place on November 29, 1863 and his trek from Chattanooga with H Co. Illinois 27th Infantry.
- Subject: Knoxville (Tenn.) X
- Subject: Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. X
- Subject: Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. X
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. X
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. X
- Correspondence. 3
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 3
- Knox County (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns. 2
- Fort Sanders, Battle of, Knoxville, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Loudon County (Tenn.) 1
- Soldiers -- Illinois -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Indiana -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Massachusetts -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee, East -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1 ∧ less