Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Alfred E. Waldo Letter
A single letter, written October 26, 1863, by Alfred Edward Waldo to his parents. In the letter, he details the defense of Knoxville, Tennessee against General James Longstreet's attack as well as writing of his rations and requesting for new clothes.
Jacob Rowland Letters
Rosecrans Letter to Medical Dept. G. O. No. 2
This letter is written by Rosecrans to a doctor at Medical Department Gen. Orders No. 2 on July 15th, 1863. It discusses military politics, the occupation of Knoxville by Bragg, and well wishes.
Sgt. William A. Smith Letter to J. O. Jones
A letter was written by Sgt. William A. Smith, Co. B 71 Ind. 6th Cav., on October 5, 1863. He talks about Union occupation north of Knoxville, TN and the increased price of goods and foods in the Confederate states as oppsosed to the Union. He also writes about a brigade of women marching and carrying the U.S. flag. The letter was submitted to Mr. J. O. Jones, postmaster of Terre Haute, Indiana, in hopes that he could get it published in the local newspaper.
T. K. Gay Letter
This collection consists of one handwritten letter, written in 1864 in Knoxville, Tennessee, by T. K. Gay of the Signal Corps to his brother Cal in Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania. It reports that Knoxville is currently tranquil but expresses concern that John Morgan is preparing to attack. Gay hypothesizes that if Morgan were to attack he would meet strong resistance, as more troops were expected for the defense of the city. Gay also opines that the war will end soon.
- Subject: Knoxville (Tenn.) X
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. X
- Subject: Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. X
- Subject: Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. X
- Subject: Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. X
- Correspondence. 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 3
- Knox County (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns. 2
- Kentucky -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Soldiers -- Indiana -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Massachusetts -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee, East -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Heavy Artillery Regiment, 2nd (1863-1865) 1 ∧ less