Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
This collection houses land deeds, correspondence, indentures, other legal documents, and photographs documenting four generations of the Mitchell family in Washington County, Tennessee.
This collection consists of a handwritten land grant dated July 10, 1788 from the state of North Carolina to George Doherty for 5,000 acres in Giles County (now in Tennessee) on Richland Creek.
This land grant records Richard Thompson's purchase of 200 acres in Hinds Valley for 50 shillings per acre. It was recorded in New Bern (Hawkins County) North Carolina, which has since become part of Knox County, Tennessee. The extensive description of boundary markers and neighboring plots is blotted and hard to read in parts. The document is witnessed by His Excellency Richard Dobbs Spaight, Governor, Captain General, and commander in Chief of North Carolina.
This register documents 89 land grants issued by the state of North Carolina between 1792 and 1794. Most of the land transferred was located in Green and Hawkins Counties, but Jefferson County and the Eastern District are also represented.
This land grant documents Stockley Donelson's purchase of 640 acres of land (at the rate of 25 shillings per acre) lying south of the Nolichucky Road and north of Wallens Ridge. At the time, the land was located in North Carolina's Eastern District. A copy of the surveyor's report is also included.
- Subject: Land tenure -- North Carolina. X
- Land tenure -- North Carolina. 5
- Land tenure -- Tennessee. 2
- Giles County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Land grants -- Tennessee. 1
- Land tenure -- North Carolina -- Green County. 1
- Land tenure -- North Carolina -- Hawkins County. 1
- Land tenure -- North Carolina -- Jefferson County. 1
- Land tenure -- Tennessee -- Knox County. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783. 1
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783. 1
- Washington County (N.C.) -- History. 1
- Washington County (Tenn.) -- History. 1 ∧ less