Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 37
In these four letters, Allen Hall's correspondents discuss such political matters as appointments to the Post Office, removals of political officeholders, and the political situation in Knoxville and East Tennessee.
Baron Burnham (Harry Levy-Lawson) wrote this manuscript for publication in his newspaper, The Daily Telegraph, on December 28, 1917. In it, he applauds the United States' decision to enter World War I.
This collection houses newsletters published on the University of Tennessee campus (including the Law School's Taylor Times, the Medical Center's Monitor, and alumni newsletters) and correspondence documenting their content and development.
Two of these letters, both addressed to an unknown recipient, concern subscriptions to the Weekly Globe. The third (dated 1843) is addressed to John H. Caustine and concerns fees for dealing with spoliation claims.
This collection contains a F. S. Heiskell's scrapbook of 1840's newspaper clippings, mainly about the government, the economy, agriculture, and the Mexican War.
This collection contains correspondence, musical handbills and programs in American and German, and a European Autograph Album belonging to the Hodgson Family containing famous European composers, politicians, and writers.
In this letter, H. G. Parks asks F. S. Heiskell (editor of the Knoxville Register) to please send him a copy of that paper. Parks is residing in Richmond (Ray County), Missouri and has not seen the Register since he left Knoxville. He also remarks that most newspapers in Missouri "put Genl. Jackson down and ... rase Henry Clay." A note on the verso indicates that Heiskell provided the requested copy.
This collection consists of a handwritten letter by H. J. Anderson of Toulon, Haywood County, Tennessee, to F. P. Blair, the editor of the Globe (Washington, D.C.), on January 23, 1835 regarding his subscription to the newspaper.
Tina Bentrup, an employee at Hodges Library's Inter-Library Loan Department, drew these cartoons following the adventures of Delete-O-Brain, the reference librarian at The-Hanging-Gardens-of-Babylon Library. They depict such subjects as library patrons, football, and university students and first appeared in the UT student newspaper, The Daily Beacon, in 1999.
A single bound scrapbook of newspaper clippings put together by Jack Wayland between 1881 and 1919. Subjects include mostly current events, particularly those related to war and world news.
The collection consists of letters, newspaper clippings, and personal effects of former University of Tennessee president James D. Hoskins (1870-1960).
This collection consists of a single letter from John B. Brownlow to William G. McAdoo on February 4, 1890. The letter concerns Brownlow's recollection of a speech made by Andrew Johnson in Knoxville around 1860.
This collection houses the papers of Tennessee educator, journalist, and politician John H. Eaton Jr. Some of the topics documented include the U. S. Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands, the U. S. Bureau of Education, Eaton's newspaper Memphis Evening Post, and personal matters.
This collection houses booklets, pamphlets, newspaper clippings, invitations, and correspondence documenting John Eaton's work as editor of the Memphis Post, Superintendent of Schools in Tennessee, and U. S. Commissioner of Education.
This collection contains a newspaper assignment book for the Knoxville Journal and Tribune from January 1 to December 31, 1911. Each page is dated and completed in ink with the stories a reporter was assigned to and the items that needed to be looked up that day.
A single pinback button with text reading "I sell the Knoxville Journal and Tribune."
This small leather pocket journal contains various lists of financial and political information from the 1890's, including election returns from several wards, the price of silver, shareholders in the Knoxville Journal Company, payment on several loans, and the salaries for political and military personnel.
- Subject: Newspapers X
- Newspapers -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 10
- Newspapers -- Tennessee. 9
- College student newspapers and periodicals. 6
- Newspapers 6
- Journalism -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 3
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. 3
- Correspondence. 2
- Education, Higher -- Tennessee. 2
- Newspapers -- England -- London. 2
- Scrapbooks. 2
- Universities and colleges -- Tennessee. 2
- Women college students -- Tennessee. 2
- Actors -- United States. 1
- Autograph albums -- Europe. 1
- Autographs. 1
- Blountville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Broadsides -- Germany. 1
- Campbell County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Christianity -- Southern States. 1
- Christians -- Social networks -- Tennessee. 1
- Christians -- Tennessee. 1
- College student government. 1
- College students -- Tennessee. 1
- College theater -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Dresden (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Education -- Tennessee. 1
- Environmental issues. 1
- Freedmen -- Tennessee. 1
- Greek letter societies -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Greeneville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Handbills -- 1950-1960. 1
- Haywood County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- High schools -- Tennessee. 1
- Journalists -- Tennessee. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 1
- Letters. 1
- Military occupation damages -- United States. 1
- Newspaper editors 1
- Newspapers -- Missouri. 1
- Newspapers -- Sections, columns, etc. -- Reviews. 1
- Newspapers -- Tennessee -- Jonesborough 1
- Newspapers -- Tennessee -- Madison County. 1
- Newspapers -- Tennessee -- Memphis. 1
- Newspapers -- Tennessee -- Nashville. 1
- Norris (Tenn.) 1
- Oak Ridge (Tenn.) 1
- Oak Ridge (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory -- History. 1
- Post office stations and branches -- Tennessee. 1
- Publishers and publishing 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877). 1
- Scrapbooks -- United States -- History -- 19th century. 1
- Sesqui-Centennial-Knoxville, TN 1
- Speeches, addresses, etc. 1
- State universities and colleges -- Tennessee. 1
- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Tennessee -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950. 1
- Tennessee -- Politics and government -- To 1865. 1
- Tennessee -- Religion. 1
- Tennessee Valley Authority -- History. 1
- Tennessee, West -- History. 1
- Theater -- Reviews. 1
- Theater -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Theater -- United States -- History -- 20th century. 1
- Theater -- United States -- Reviews. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- United States -- History -- War of 1812 -- Registers. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1841-1845. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1845-1849. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Alumni and alumnae. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- History. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Students. 1
- Wall Newspapers. 1
- World War, 1914-1918. 1
- World War, 1939-1945. 1 ∧ less