Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
This letter from Union solider A. S. Andrews, dated four days after the Battle of Shiloh, describes the battle's aftermath.
This collection contains a single letter written by a Civil War solider in Savannah, Tennessee, to his wife, dated April 14th, 1862. Although he did not fight at Shiloh, he reports on the casualties.
This collection consists of a letter and a poem written by John Edward Thompson of the 20th Illinois Infantry. The letter, written on March 17, 1862 to a friend while Thompson was stationed in Savannah, Tennessee, discusses Thompson's thoughts on surviving the war and on arriving in Savannah. The poem, entitled Good Night: Who Wouldn't be a Soldier and written before the Battle of Shiloh, was published in the Advocate in 1887.
The Lanphear Family Letters, 1854-1872, document the Civil War-era experiences of a Minnesota family. The majority of the letters are from George Lanphear, a soldier with the 2nd Minnesota Infantry who spent most of the war in Tennessee.
This collection consists of a handwritten letter from Mrs. Robert L. Dickerson to Professor Richard B. Davis briefly describing her family history, mostly her grandfather and his family.
This collection consists of a letter from Private Thomas Griffin, then serving with Company I of the 8th Indiana Cavalry, written from Camp Shiloh to his wife on April 23, 1862.
This collection consists of a letter written by a Civil War Soldier, Nathan, to his sister on May 26, 1862. The letter was sent from Columbia, Tenn. to Kansasville, Wis., and was addressed to Rachel Crawford. Nathan writes of past correspondence with his sister, and others. He also tells of some fighting he has heard coming from Pittsburgh Landing, Tenn. and Corinth, MS.
This letter, composed in 1862 at Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., is written by William H. Blake, 3rd Iowa Volunteers, Company C, to his brother and discusses events leading to the Battle of Shiloh.
- Subject: Shiloh, Battle of, Tenn., 1862. X
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 6
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 5
- Frontier and pioneer life -- United States. 1
- Illinois -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Missionary Ridge, Battle of, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Savannah (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Soldiers -- Illinois -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Indiana -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- United States -- Armed Forces -- History -- 19th century 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Regimental histories. 1
- United States -- Territorial expansion. 1
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 20th (1861-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Cavalry Regiment, 8th (1863-1865). 1 ∧ less