Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Elijah A. Hawn Papers
This collection contains six letters of personal correspondence between Elijah Hawn and his wife Nancy dated from May 26, 1862 through June 16, 1863. Also included are form no. 79 from the U.S. Treasury Department (which allows for Nancy to be granted a widow’s pension), a letter from the Department of the Interior rejecting her widow’s pension on the grounds that she remarried, and a division of land agreement.
Dates: 1862 May 26-1872 August 3
J. P. Hollowell Letter
J. P. Hollowell wrote this letter to his sister, Sallie Hollowell, from camp in Bowling Green, Kentucky. In it, he mentions that his unit has been looking for a fight, but their location is too well fortified. Hollowell also apologizes for not being home for Christmas and says that he wants a new pair of pants.
Dates: 1862 January 3
Jacob Rowland Letters
Abstract This collection consists of two letters from Union soldier Jacob Rowland to his sister, Olive. The first letter, dated January 26, 1865, is sent from Knoxville, Tenn., where Rowland reports of "...quiet times here in Knoxville just now occasionally review as inspection we moved our camp last Tuesday. We were on the south side of the river about 1 1/2 miles from the city. Now we are quartered inside of the breast works right in the suburbs..." The second letter, dated February 20, 1865, is...
Dates: 1865 January 26-February 20
William R. Lacy Letter
Abstract This collection contains a letter dated November 14, 1861, by Lieutenant William R. Lacy of the 6th Tennessee Infantry (CSA) to his cousin, Amarila Lemons. Written from Columbus, Ky., he describes the rules and conditions placed on a soldier in the areas of Belmont, Missouri and Columbus. The letter includes an explanation of the treatment of prisoners. Lacy speaks of the wounded and the Union dead. He adds that a cousin, Thomas Lacy, resigned and became a Captain of a company at Union...
Dates: 1861 November 14
- Kentucky -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 3
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- Confederate States of America. Army. Tennessee Infantry Regiment, 18th. 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Tennessee Infantry Regiment, 6th. 1
- Kentucky -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Military pensions -- Tennessee. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Women. 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Heavy Artillery Regiment, 2nd (1863-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Tennessee Infantry Regiment, 2nd (1861-1865) 1 ∧ less