Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
This collection consists of two letters regarding activities of Stringer's regiment, the 15th Ohio Infantry (Company A). In the first letter, written to a friend Ella, he discusses the Battle of Murfreesboro and the capture of General Willich. The second letter is addressed to the Regimental Quartermasters and includes instruction for a move to Nashville.
John Forsyth wrote these two letters to his wife, Martha (Swanger) Forsyth, while serving with Company G of the 97th Ohio Infantry. The first is dated September 12, 1863 from Bridgeport, Alabama amidst the Chickamauga Campaign and the second is dated May 27, 1864 from Chattanooga, Tennessee.
The diary housed in this collection documents John M. Hollis's Civil War service, including his enlistment and training and his unit's marches through Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, and Kentucky. Of particular interest are the descriptions of fierce battles at Murfreesboro, Tennessee and Perryville, Kentucky.
In this letter, Lide Bostwick discusses life on the northern home front during the Civil War. She mentions illnesses and deaths in the family (including the death of her brother Tip at the Battle of Stones River), her concerns for family and friends in the military, and the harm that northern traitors are causing.
- Subject: Stones River, Battle of, Murfreesboro, Tenn., 1862-1863. X
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 3
- Perryville, Battle of, Perryville, Ky., 1862. 2
- Alabama -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Kentucky -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Ohio -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Soldiers -- Illinois -- Diaries. 1
- Soldiers -- Ohio -- Correspondence. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 38th (1861-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 113th (1861-1864) 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 13th (1861-1864) 1 ∧ less