Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
This letter from Union solider A. S. Andrews, dated four days after the Battle of Shiloh, describes the battle's aftermath.
This collection houses a handwritten manuscript entitled War Experiences of Edwin Floyd Wiley documenting Wiley's military service during the Civil War as well as a photograph of Wiley himself.
The letter is written by Gustavus A. Peltzer, dated July 2, 1863, and is addressed to his friend Ellis. The letter, written in response to previous correspondence from Ellis, details the events that led to his imprisonment in Knoxville, Tennessee. The collection also contains the original envelope used for this correspondance.
This collection houses letters of recommendation for Samuel Boyd, correspondence to and from Samuel Boyd (including two letters he wrote while being held prisoner at Camp Chase, Ohio during the Civil War), genealogical notes, invitations, newspaper clippings, and resolutions on the deaths of Samuel and Isabella (Reed) Boyd.
This collection consists of a letter from Samuel K. Carrigan, sent on May 25, 1862 from Camp Mag Hill near Chattanooga, to his brother William A. Carrigan in Society Hill, South Carolina. He discusses his discontent with his fellow solider's irreligiousness and his desire to transfer into another unit, as well as the fighting in which he was involved.
This collection is a diary written by William A. Mayo of Monroe County, Tennessee between the years 1861 and 1866. The majority of the diary Mayo recounts daily life during his years as a captured captain in the Confederate Army as well as a list of fellow prisoners. Mayo was kept in a Union prison on Johnson's Island in Lake Erie. This item is a typescript.
This collection consists of ten letters and five envelopes from Union soldier William Styer to his wife Susannah (Defenbaugh) Styer dating from 1862 November 12 to 1863 September 5. One letter was written in Camp Morton, Indiana; one was written on board the Ohio Belle; and the rest were written from Fort Pickering, Tennessee.
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 7
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 4
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 2
- Christianity -- Southern States. 1
- Confederate States of America. Army -- Officers. 1
- Confederate States of America. Army of Tennessee -- Artillery. 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Tennessee Infantry Regiment, 6th. 1
- Illinois -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Johnson Island Prison. 1
- Kentucky -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Memphis (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Presbyterians -- Tennessee. 1
- Shiloh, Battle of, Tenn., 1862. 1
- Soldiers -- Indiana -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- South Carolina -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal Narratives, Confederate. 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 89th (1862-1865). 1
- Vicksburg (Miss.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 1 ∧ less