Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
The Colonel Andrew J. Mackay Letters, 1863-1864, include letters to and from Mackay in his position as the Chief Quartermaster of the Army of the Cumberland. The majority of the letters concern troop movements, supplies and shipments.
The Colonel Andrew J. Mackay Letters Collection is composed of four letters -- three to Mackay and one from Mackay -- describing the distribution of supplies for the Army of the Cumberland and the rebuilding of the Chattanooga water works after the Civil War.
In a December 3, 1863 letter from James to My Dear Sister Kate, a Confederate soldier describes his situation after participating in the Battle of Missionary Ridge in Chattanooga during the Civil War.
This collection consists of one letter written by Corporal George Gates to his aunt. It was written from his regiment's camp located to the left of Chattanooga, Tennessee on November 26, 1863. He re-counts for his aunt the Battle of Lookout Mountain on November 25, 1863. He mentions his regiment's movements, acquisitions, and casualties in the battle.
This collection contains a letter from Confederate soldier Jason Cooper, dated December 5, 1863 from Dalton, Ga. To his dear friend Farley, Cooper writes about the Confederate evacuation of Chattanooga, Tenn.
This Civil War letter written by Union soldier William H. Gripman to his friends describes the conditions in Chattanooga, where his regiment was stationed in 1865. The letter is dated March 1, 1865. He describes how bad the officers are and how they got rid of an officer that hung one of the boys up by his thumbs.
Collection contains a single letter written by William Helsley, a soldier in the 19th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, on August 29, 1864. Helsley penned this letter to his wife, Mary Yauser Helsley, while stationed in Chattanooga, Tennessee. In the letter, Helsley discusses a scare in which he and others were warned of activities by Confederate Colonel Wheeler that ultimately never happened.
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 7
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 3
- Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Louisiana Infantry Regiment, 1st. 1
- Florida -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Lookout Mountain, Battle of, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Missionary Ridge, Battle of, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Soldiers -- Florida -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Georgia -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal Narratives, Confederate. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Regimental histories. 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 59th (1861-1865). 1 ∧ less