Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
George Gates Lookout Mountain Letter
This collection consists of one letter written by Corporal George Gates to his aunt. It was written from his regiment's camp located to the left of Chattanooga, Tennessee on November 26, 1863. He re-counts for his aunt the Battle of Lookout Mountain on November 25, 1863. He mentions his regiment's movements, acquisitions, and casualties in the battle.
James Cooper Letter
This collection contains a letter from Confederate soldier Jason Cooper, dated December 5, 1863 from Dalton, Ga. To his dear friend Farley, Cooper writes about the Confederate evacuation of Chattanooga, Tenn.
Marion Bennett Ledger and Ambrotype
William H. Gripman Letter
This Civil War letter written by Union soldier William H. Gripman to his friends describes the conditions in Chattanooga, where his regiment was stationed in 1865. The letter is dated March 1, 1865. He describes how bad the officers are and how they got rid of an officer that hung one of the boys up by his thumbs.
William J. Helsley Letter
Collection contains a single letter written by William Helsley, a soldier in the 19th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, on August 29, 1864. Helsley penned this letter to his wife, Mary Yauser Helsley, while stationed in Chattanooga, Tennessee. In the letter, Helsley discusses a scare in which he and others were warned of activities by Confederate Colonel Wheeler that ultimately never happened.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 3
- Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Louisiana Infantry Regiment, 1st. 1
- Florida -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Lookout Mountain, Battle of, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Soldiers -- Florida -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Georgia -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Regimental histories. 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 59th (1861-1865). 1 ∧ less