Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
This collection houses two books that Union Sergeant Charles H. Pierce used to keep a diary and record roll call in addition to a formal studio portrait depicting Pierce in his later years wearing his Grand Army of the Republic Star.
The Henry Cherry Letters, 1864-1865, contain nine letters from Cherry, a Chaplain with the 10th Michigan Cavalry in the Civil War, to Amos Gould of Owosso, Mich., describing both military and civilian life in the Union Army during the Civil War. The majority of these letters were written from Knoxville, Tenn.
This collection consists primarily of two undated, fragmentary letters that John Watkins wrote during the Civil War. One is written on United States Sanitary Commission letterhead. These two items are accompanied by a poem entitled The Union, which Watkins apparently authored.
A letter written by Corporal Noble B. Wiggins on August 7, 1862 at the 42nd Ohio Infantry's Camp Virginia, located outside of Chattanooga, Tennessee. He describes foraging expeditions and his company's acquisition of mules, horses, and food as well as their losses in men.
This February 2, 1862, letter is from Phoebe Cross to her sister. In the letter, Cross describes her life and family in East Tennessee while her husband is at war.
This letter is written by Rosecrans to a doctor at Medical Department Gen. Orders No. 2 on July 15th, 1863. It discusses military politics, the occupation of Knoxville by Bragg, and well wishes.
This collection includes letters and a notebook of Samuel P. Johnson's, many of which detail his experiences during the Civil War.
In an October 29, 1863 letter to his friends and family at home in New Hampshire, John, a Union soldier in Knoxville, writes of traveling through East Tennessee.
The W. Gibbs McAdoo letter, written November 8, 1860, describes the mood in Knoxville, Tenn., after Lincoln's election. He also tells of an incident in which someone tied a tin bucket and a note reading "Going out of the Union" to a dog and turned it loose on Gay Street.
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 8
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 4
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- Correspondence. 1
- Knox County (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Maryville College -- History. 1
- Secession -- Southern States. 1
- Tennessee -- Politics and government -- 1861-1865. 1
- Tennessee -- Religion. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- United States. Army. Michigan Cavalry Regiment, 10th (1863-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 129th (1863-1864) 1 ∧ less