Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
A. S. Andrews Letter
This letter from Union solider A. S. Andrews, dated four days after the Battle of Shiloh, describes the battle's aftermath.
Civil War Soldier's Letter Written Near Savannah, Tenn.
This collection contains a single letter written by a Civil War solider in Savannah, Tennessee, to his wife, dated April 14th, 1862. Although he did not fight at Shiloh, he reports on the casualties.
John E. Thompson Letter and Poem
This collection consists of a letter and a poem written by John Edward Thompson of the 20th Illinois Infantry. The letter, written on March 17, 1862 to a friend while Thompson was stationed in Savannah, Tennessee, discusses Thompson's thoughts on surviving the war and on arriving in Savannah. The poem, entitled Good Night: Who Wouldn't be a Soldier and written before the Battle of Shiloh, was published in the Advocate in 1887.
Mrs. Robert L. Dickerson Letter to Richard B. Davis
This collection consists of a handwritten letter from Mrs. Robert L. Dickerson to Professor Richard B. Davis briefly describing her family history, mostly her grandfather and his family.
Thomas Griffin Letter
This collection consists of a letter from Private Thomas Griffin, then serving with Company I of the 8th Indiana Cavalry, written from Camp Shiloh to his wife on April 23, 1862.
Union Soldier's Letter regarding the Battle of Shiloh
This collection consists of a letter written by a Civil War Soldier, Nathan, to his sister on May 26, 1862. The letter was sent from Columbia, Tenn. to Kansasville, Wis., and was addressed to Rachel Crawford. Nathan writes of past correspondence with his sister, and others. He also tells of some fighting he has heard coming from Pittsburgh Landing, Tenn. and Corinth, MS.
William H. Blake Letter
This letter, composed in 1862 at Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., is written by William H. Blake, 3rd Iowa Volunteers, Company C, to his brother and discusses events leading to the Battle of Shiloh.
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 6
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 4
- Illinois -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Savannah (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Soldiers -- Illinois -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Indiana -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 20th (1861-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Cavalry Regiment, 8th (1863-1865). 1 ∧ less