Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Hannah W. Swan Grant of Pardon and Amnesty
Abstract In this document, President Andrew Johnson pardons Hannah W. Swan of Knox County for her rebellion against the United States of America on the conditions that she take the oath given in the May 29, 1865 Proclamation of the President, never owns slaves nor uses slave labor, pays all costs from any previous legal proceedings, doesn't attempt to recover any property seized by the government during the Civil War, and notifies the Secretary of State in writing that she has received and accepted...
Dates: 1865 October 27
James A. Rogers Papers
Abstract The bulk of this collection houses legal documents, correspondence, plats, and other items documenting James A. Rogers' life and work. Among the subjects shown are rail and steamboat shipments in the 1850s and 1860s, land grants and sales (including land grants given in recognition of service in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War), transaction records of enslaved individuals from the 1840s to the 1860s, the Civil War (including the construction of Fort Pillar north of...
Dates: 1784 November 3-1974 December 27 (bulk 1784 November 3-1897 December 10)
Jonathan D. Hale Collection
The Jonathan D. Hale Collection, 1863-1885, contains correspondence, printed materials, and handwritten notes related to the life of Hale, a Union scout and postmaster of Hale's Mill, Tenn.
Slave Hire Document from Jefferson County, Tenn.
This collection contains a single note, hiring a slave belonging to Calloway Hodge to William Wilson for a year, dated February 5, 1864.
Dates: 1864 February 5
Will R. Story Letter
In this letter, Captain William R. Story of the 1st U.S. Colored Artillery (heavy) writes to John J. King on behalf of a soldier under his command named Tecumsey whose wife, formerly one of King's enslaved people, is still living in King's home. The soldier would like her to be able to remain in the house, and Story assures King that the man earns a reasonable wage and will be good for any small amount of a years rent.
Dates: 1865 August 16
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 4
- Freedmen -- Tennessee. 1
- Greeneville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Haywood County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- Tennessee. 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877). 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Participation, African-American. 1
- Tennessee -- Politics and government. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Participation, African-American. 1
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783. 1 ∧ less