Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
This collection contains a F. S. Heiskell's scrapbook of 1840's newspaper clippings, mainly about the government, the economy, agriculture, and the Mexican War.
This collection consists of a letter from Union solider H. H. Thomas to William G. Brownlow in Knoxville, Tennessee. Thomas congratulates Brownlow on his nomination for governor of Tennessee, praises him as a supporter of the Union, and asks for a position in his administration.
This collection contains scrapbooks, speeches, correspondence, photographs, essays, eulogies, and a biography documenting the life and work of Tennessee statesman Horace Maynard. There are a few items of unknown origin, including a deed for 60 acres on the south side of the French Broad River to John Wright signed by Governor William Carroll and two certificates of sale for land in Ohio purchased by Mathew Heuston and signed by President James Madison.
The O. P. Temple Papers consist of correspondence, legal and financial files, writings, newspaper clippings, awards, gifts, and photographs documenting the life and work of Knoxville businessman and politician Oliver P. Temple.
This collection consists of a brief letter from Wade Keyes dated Richmond, August 14, 1861, to J. L. Ramsey in Knoxville. Keyes confirms Ramsey's appointment as attorney for the District of Tennessee.
This collection consists primarily of letters documenting William Gannaway Parson Brownlow's service as Governor of Tennessee and showing the problems that Tennessee faced during the Civil War and Reconstruction. Also included are letters to and from Brownlow's son John Bell Brownlow.
In this autobiographical sketch, William Jay Smith describes his military career and ends with his election to the Tennessee Senate in 1867.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 6
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 4
- Tennessee -- Politics and government. 3
- Tennessee -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950. 2
- United States -- Politics and government -- 19th century. 2
- Confederate States of America -- Politics and government. 1
- Governors -- Tennessee. 1
- Indians of North America -- West (U.S.) -- Government relations. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Mexican War, 1846-1848 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Newspapers -- Tennessee. 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- Tennessee. 1
- Slavery -- Tennessee 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Tennessee -- History. 1
- Tennessee -- Politics and government -- 1861-1865. 1
- Tennessee -- Politics and government -- To 1865. 1
- Tennessee. Militia -- History -- 19th century. 1
- United States -- Foreign relations -- 1865-1898. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Veterans -- Tennessee. 1 ∧ less