Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
This collection houses a cased ambrotype of a Union soldier (probably A. H. Pierce), a photograph of Grandpa Bailey, A. H. Pierce's diary, a guard duty ticket from Camp McClellan, Iowa, and a three-fold pocket surgery kit.
Amanda Allbright wrote this research paper, entitled "Anything for Their Comfort: Chattanooga Hospitals During the Civil War," for an Anthropology 411 class taught by Dr. Benita Howell at the University of Tennessee in 2005. In it, she discusses the conditions found in Civil War hospitals in and around Chattanooga, Tennessee.
A handwritten letter from J. S. Hanna to an unknown recipient written circa November 24, 1862 from Fort Saunderson, Bolivar, TN. The letter discusses his time at his time at the fort including sickness and weather.
This collection contains two letters written on one sheet of paper. The first, from Martha Stewart to her husband Joseph (dated November 30, 1864) details the daily happenings in Franklin Square, Ohio. The second, from hospitalized Joseph in Murfreesboro, Tenn., to his wife and children (dated December 24-25, 1864) discusses the Battle of Nashville.
The Stout collection contains a several documents relating to Samuel Hollingsworth Stout, who served as a Confederate surgeon during the American Civil War.
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Hospitals. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 2
- Bolivar (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Chattanooga (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Confederate States of America. Army of Tennessee -- Medical care. 1
- Corinth (Miss.) -- History -- Siege, 1862. 1
- Correspondence. 1
- Military hospitals -- Confederate States of America -- History. 1
- Soldiers -- Ohio -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Medical care. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- United States. Army. Iowa Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1864). 1
- Vicksburg (Miss.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 1 ∧ less