Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Alfred E. Waldo Letter
A single letter, written October 26, 1863, by Alfred Edward Waldo to his parents. In the letter, he details the defense of Knoxville, Tennessee against General James Longstreet's attack as well as writing of his rations and requesting for new clothes.
J. S. Hanna Letter
A handwritten letter from J. S. Hanna to an unknown recipient written circa November 24, 1862 from Fort Saunderson, Bolivar, TN. The letter discusses his time at his time at the fort including sickness and weather.
Marcus Richardson Correspondence
A four-page handwritten letter, signed "MR" by Lieutenant Marcus Richardson, sent to Captain Joseph Washington Anderson. Written from Cumberland Gap, Tenn., the letter details the reconnaissance and skirmish that took place at Cumberland Gap in the days prior under the command of Major General Edmund Kirby Smith. The letter is dated March 23, 1862.
Rosecrans Letter to Medical Dept. G. O. No. 2
This letter is written by Rosecrans to a doctor at Medical Department Gen. Orders No. 2 on July 15th, 1863. It discusses military politics, the occupation of Knoxville by Bragg, and well wishes.
Sgt. William A. Smith Letter to J. O. Jones
A letter was written by Sgt. William A. Smith, Co. B 71 Ind. 6th Cav., on October 5, 1863. He talks about Union occupation north of Knoxville, TN and the increased price of goods and foods in the Confederate states as oppsosed to the Union. He also writes about a brigade of women marching and carrying the U.S. flag. The letter was submitted to Mr. J. O. Jones, postmaster of Terre Haute, Indiana, in hopes that he could get it published in the local newspaper.
Soldier Alexander B. Richards Civil War Letter
Personal correspondence between Union soldier Alexander B. Richards and his sister, Emaline Butcher of Murphysboro, Illinois, dated February 14, 1864. He details the Battle of Knoxville and Fort Sanders (Tenn.) which took place on November 29, 1863 and his trek from Chattanooga with H Co. Illinois 27th Infantry.
- Correspondence. 4
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 3
- Knox County (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 2
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns. 2
- Bolivar (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Cumberland Gap (Tenn.) 1
- Cumberland Gap Campaign, 1862. 1
- Fort Sanders, Battle of, Knoxville, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Loudon County (Tenn.) 1
- Soldiers -- Illinois -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Indiana -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Massachusetts -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal Narratives, Confederate. 1
- Tennessee, East -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Hospitals. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Medical care. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate. 1 ∧ less