Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Amanda Allbright wrote this research paper, entitled "Anything for Their Comfort: Chattanooga Hospitals During the Civil War," for an Anthropology 411 class taught by Dr. Benita Howell at the University of Tennessee in 2005. In it, she discusses the conditions found in Civil War hospitals in and around Chattanooga, Tennessee.
This collection consists of one letter written by Corporal George Gates to his aunt. It was written from his regiment's camp located to the left of Chattanooga, Tennessee on November 26, 1863. He re-counts for his aunt the Battle of Lookout Mountain on November 25, 1863. He mentions his regiment's movements, acquisitions, and casualties in the battle.
This collection contains three letters from George Morris to his wife Rowena and to his parents dating from 1863 to 1864. They discuss troop movements, life in the army, and his position as bridge guard or builder.
This collection contains a letter from Confederate soldier Jason Cooper, dated December 5, 1863 from Dalton, Ga. To his dear friend Farley, Cooper writes about the Confederate evacuation of Chattanooga, Tenn.
This Civil War letter written by Union soldier William H. Gripman to his friends describes the conditions in Chattanooga, where his regiment was stationed in 1865. The letter is dated March 1, 1865. He describes how bad the officers are and how they got rid of an officer that hung one of the boys up by his thumbs.
Collection contains a single letter written by William Helsley, a soldier in the 19th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, on August 29, 1864. Helsley penned this letter to his wife, Mary Yauser Helsley, while stationed in Chattanooga, Tennessee. In the letter, Helsley discusses a scare in which he and others were warned of activities by Confederate Colonel Wheeler that ultimately never happened.
- Chattanooga (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 5
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 5
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 4
- Chattanooga (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Louisiana Infantry Regiment, 1st. 1
- Florida -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Lexington (Ky.) -- History. 1
- Lookout Mountain, Battle of, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Nashville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Soldiers -- Florida -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Georgia -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Michigan -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Hospitals. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Hospitals. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Regimental histories. 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 59th (1861-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Michigan Infantry Regiment, 22nd (1862-1865). 1 ∧ less