Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
C. Perry Goodrich wrote this letter to his wife, Frances (Bowen) Goodrich, in Christiana, Wisconsin on March 13, 1864. In it, Goodrich describes the recent battle for Knoxville and mentions that both the Union and Confederate Armies are living on hardtack and coffee due to extreme lack of supplies.
C. Perry Goodrich of the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry wrote this letter from a camp near Kingston, Tennessee on December 12, 1863. In it, he discusses Longstreet's clash with Burnside in the Knoxville campaign and mentions rumors that are circulating, including one stating that Gen. Crook with the 2nd Div. Cav. has defeated the Rebel Gen. Wheeler.
This collection consists of two diaries, an ambrotype, and a Grand Army of the Republic Veterans' medal relating to Sergeant Frank Bean. Bean, a Sergeant in the Union Army, served in and around Tennessee during the American Civil War.
This collection houses a letter that John Cleland wrote to his sister, Mary J. Jennie Cleland, in Defiance County, Ohio from Knoxville, Tennessee on December 14, 1863. In it, he discusses his regiment's participation in the Battle of Knoxville, including the losses they suffered.
This collection houses two letters that Union soldier Watson B. Smith wrote to his mother, Mary Amanda (Birchard) Smith, on September 23, 1863 and October 1, 1863. In them, Smith discusses Union operations in the Knoxville Campaign, life in headquarters, and news from the Battle of Chattanooga.
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 5
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 5
- Soldiers -- Michigan -- Correspondence. 2
- Soldiers -- Wisconsin -- Correspondence. 2
- United States. Army. Corps, 23rd (1863-1865). 2
- United States. Army. Michigan Cavalry Regiment, 8th (1862-1865). 2
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Cavalry Regiment, 1st (1861-1865). 2
- Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863. 1
- Illinois -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 1
- Illinois -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Regimental histories. 1
- Soldiers -- Illinois -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Ohio -- Correspondence. 1
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 107th (1862-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 111th (1862-1865). 1 ∧ less