Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
John McNickle Laird, Jr. of the Ohio 124th Infantry Regiment (U. S.) writes to his mother, Julia Laird, from a camp near Knoxville, Tennessee and from Marietta, Georgia.
This collection houses a letter that John Cleland wrote to his sister, Mary J. Jennie Cleland, in Defiance County, Ohio from Knoxville, Tennessee on December 14, 1863. In it, he discusses his regiment's participation in the Battle of Knoxville, including the losses they suffered.
While encamped in the Cumberland Ford area of Knox County, Tenn., John W. Hammer serving in the 16th Ohio Infantry Company K writes to a friend named Annie. In this letter dated June 4, 1862, he describes the fortifications that are in place to protect them from the Confederates. His company moves toward the Confederate camps and skirmishes occur.
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 2
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1