Showing Collections: 1 - 19 of 19
This collection houses a compilation of papers documenting the 455th Bomb Group including military orders, photographs, and material showing the conception of the 455th Bomb Group Association. These papers provide a wealth of information about the strategic nature of the air war in Europe, the quality of life for pilots and crew members in combat, and the camaraderie of squads following the end of the war.
This collection consists of three interview transcriptions with Ben Franklin on from 2004-2005 by G. Kurt Piehler, John B. Romeiser, and Braum Lincoln Denton. In the interviews, Franklin details his childhood in Knoxville, TN and his service in the U.S. Army during World War II.
The Carol Bell WAC Interviews, 1996, consists of audio recordings and transcripts of interviews with 20 women who served in the Women's Army Corps during World War II. The interviews, conducted by Carol Owen Bell, set out to discover the long-term effects of military experience on women who served in the war.
This collection houses correspondence, photographs, and military memorabilia documenting Clifford Edward Keenan's service and death with the 505th Parachute Infantry during World War II.
In this interview with Kurt Piehler and Seth Womack of the Center for the Study of War and Society, Clinton E. Riddle discusses his childhood on an East Tennessee farm and his service during World War II, including his training, flying gliders, ground combat, and leave in Paris. The conversation took place on March 19, 2002.
This collection consists of two pamphlets distributed to United States and Allied troops during World War II. The U. S. War Department distributed the first of these booklets to American troops newly arrived in England to provide them with an introduction to English culture. The second pamphlet was given to all Allied troops and highlights various aspects of Paris nightlife and tourist attractions.
The Edgar Wilson Oral History, 2003-2004, is a typescript of an oral history interview with Edgar Wilson by Dr. Kurt Piehler, Greg Kupsky, and Patrick Leverton of the University of Tennessee for the Veteran's Oral History Project conducted by the Center for the Study of War and Society. The interview focuses primarily on Wilson's World War II experiences, but also covers pre-war and post-war periods.
These two VHS tapes contain a recording of an oral history by Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Erwin B. Bigger. In it, Bigger discusses his early life and his service with the U. S. Army as a paratrooper during World War II and the Korean War.
This collection houses a typescript of an oral history interview conducted with Foster Arnett by G. Kurt Piehler and Johnny Goins for the Veteran's Oral History Project at the Center for the Study of War and Society. The interview documents Arnett's childhood in East Tennessee, his experiences in the Pacific Theater during World War II, and his postwar legal practice.
Historical and Pictorial Review, 117th Infantry, 30th Infantry Division, Army of the United States: Fort Jackson, South Carolina
This collection contains a copy of Historical and Pictorial Review, 30th Infantry Division, Army of the United States: Fort Jackson, South Carolina, 1941, as presented to Sgt. Bill Purdom, 117th Infantry, 30th Division. It is a yearbook for the 30th Division and the 117th Infantry, and includes historical information.
In this narrative, John S. Hurst describes his time in the U. S. Army from his induction in July of 1944 to his discharge in August of 1945. He mentions his service replenishing ammunition during the Battle of the Bulge and details many of his struggles, including the frostbite and pneumonia that finally sent him home. The collection also houses a copy of a photograph of Hurst in his uniform.
In this collection, M. E. Springer discusses his life as a non-combat soldier in World War II and his postwar work conducting soil surveys in Japan.
This collection houses photocopies of newspaper clippings, a certificate, and a letter documenting Ned F. Smith's service during World War II.
This film, entitled Troublemaker -- A Pilot's Story of WWII, documents Robert Harrington's service flying B-24s in Europe with the 466th Bomb Group during 1944.
This collection includes photographs of the Third Army (U.S. Army) in Tennessee. Towns depicted include Shelbyville and Haley, Bedford County, Tenn. The photographs are of maneuvers, soldiers, and the Army’s camp, dated 1941.
The book housed in this collection is composed of transcriptions of letters written between Private Clifford E. Keenan and his immediate family from 1942 to 1944. Editor Hugh T. Keenan (Clifford E. Keenan's younger brother) has also included a brief biographical introduction and numerous photographs of the Keenan family.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 8
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 5
- United States. Army. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 4
- United States. Army Air Forces. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 3
- Humboldt (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Parachute troops -- United States. 2
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 2
- United States. Army. Division, 80th. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care. 2
- Ardennes, Battle of the, 1944-1945. 1
- Bedford County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Cerignola (Italy). 1
- Fort Jackson (S.C.) -- History -- 20th century. 1
- France -- Social life and customs -- 20th century. 1
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 1918-1945. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Participation, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Lawyers -- Tennessee. 1
- Leyte Gulf, Battle of, Philippines, 1944. 1
- Military training camps -- Tennessee. 1
- Oral history -- United States. 1
- Paris (France) -- History -- 1940-1944. 1
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941. 1
- Shelbyville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Soil surveys -- Japan. 1
- United States. Army -- Airborne troops. 1
- United States. Army -- Parachute troops. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 15th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 9th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (H), 455th. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (Heavy), 466th. 1
- United States. Army. Airborne Division, 82nd. 1
- United States. Army. Armored Division, 10th. 1
- United States. Army. Corps of Engineers. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 30th -- History. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 78th. 1
- United States. Army. Parachute Infantry Regiment, 504th. 1
- United States. Army. Parachute Infantry Regiment, 511th. 1
- United States. Army. Women's Army Corps. 1
- Women soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa, North. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- France. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Concentration camps -- Germany. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, Female. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Underground movements -- Netherlands. 1
- World War, 1939-1945. 1 ∧ less