Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
This collection consists of five letters written by Charles Steele, a soldier in Company D of the 53rd Regiment of Indiana Volunteers, between April 1, 1862 and August 10, 1863 in Savannah (Tennessee), Memphis (Tennessee), and Vicksburg (Mississippi) to his mother and sister. Also included in this collection is a letter to Steele's sister from her niece, Maggie, expressing concern for Charles Steele, as well as a color photocopy of Steele's Compiled Military Service Record (CMSR).
This collection consists of a letter from Private Thomas Griffin, then serving with Company I of the 8th Indiana Cavalry, written from Camp Shiloh to his wife on April 23, 1862.
In this July 11, 1863 letter to his cousin Malvina Brunnemer, William J. Knox writes about his travels to Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and his company's movement's in the south.
This collection consists of ten letters and five envelopes from Union soldier William Styer to his wife Susannah (Defenbaugh) Styer dating from 1862 November 12 to 1863 September 5. One letter was written in Camp Morton, Indiana; one was written on board the Ohio Belle; and the rest were written from Fort Pickering, Tennessee.
This collection houses a letter from William Styer to his wife Susanah dated April 2, 1863 and sent from Fort Pickering, Tennessee. Styer sends his greetings to his family, discusses a smallpox outbreak in camp, relates news of Union victories, and sees hope that the war will end soon due to poor Confederate morale.
William W. Daugherty wrote this letter to his father from Tullahoma, Tennessee on April 13, 1864. In it, he discusses social life among the regiment's officers, describes troop movements just before the Battle of Resaca, and expresses his optimism about General Sherman's campaign in Georgia.
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 6
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 6
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 89th (1862-1865). 2
- Indiana -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Memphis (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Murfreesboro (Tenn.). 1
- Resaca, Battle of, Resaca, Ga., 1864. 1
- Shiloh, Battle of, Tenn., 1862. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Cavalry Regiment, 2nd (1861-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Cavalry Regiment, 8th (1863-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 27th (1861-1864). 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 33rd (1861-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 53rd (1862-1865). 1
- Vicksburg (Miss.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 1 ∧ less