Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
In this letter written from Waverly, Tenn., and dated February 16, 1864, James E. Pritchard of the 8th Iowa Cavalry writes to his brother John. He comments that the Rebels will never regain a hold on East Tennessee, noting that in Waverly, 300 Confederates surrendered and took the oath of allegiance.
According to Lieutenant Colonel John Scott, Colonel Nelson G. Williams of the 3rd Iowa Regiment incorrectly and maliciously reported Second Lieutenant Benton A. Mathews, Second Lieutenant Ole A. Anderson, and Lieutenant Colonel Mathew M. Trumbull of Company D as well as Captain Emilius I. Weiser of Company I as deserters. He calls for an investigation so that these men, who had been wounded and served valiantly, might have their records corrected.
Robert Kepner wrote this letter to his sisters, Ellen and Mary, while he was stationed at Fort Donelson, Tennessee, during the Civil War. In it, he complains of being ill, thanks them for the books they sent, and informs them that he can buy books for 25 cents or just take them from the Rebel camps for free.
This collection houses fourteen letters sent to Robert T. Jones by friends and family serving in the Civil War. Ten of the letters are from James Thomas, and the others were written by John Williams, Daniel Thomas, and John T. Jones. Several of the letters describe the siege of Vicksburg and other battles. Most of the letters include news of other Welsh friends from Iowa. The collection also houses two photographs, one showing cannons and the other showing soldiers near rows of tents.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 3
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 2
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 2
- Fort Donelson, Battle of, Tenn., 1862. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence. 1
- United States. Army. Iowa Cavalry Regiment, 7th (1861-1864). 1
- United States. Army. Iowa Cavalry Regiment, 8th (1863-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Iowa Infantry Regiment, 25th (1862-1865). 1
- United States. Army. Iowa Infantry Regiment, 3rd (1861-1864). 1
- United States. Army. Iowa Infantry Regiment, 7th (1861-1865). 1 ∧ less