Showing Collections: 1 - 14 of 14
10th Infantry, 5th Division Photograph
This photograph, taken in 1941 in Wartrace, Tennessee, depicts the 10th Infantry, 5th Division training.
314th Infantry Regiment, 79th Infantry Division Reunion Scrapbook
This collection consists of a scrapbook that was compiled for the 58th reunion of the 79th Infantry Division in September 2004. The scrapbook is titled 314th Infantry Regiment and 79th Reconnaissance Troop (Mechanized), The Cross of Lorraine Division, 79th Infantry Division. An unattached article Withdrawal in Alsace is also included.
Birch Park Henderson Collection
This collection contains documents and a taped interview related to World War II veteran Birch Park Henderson’s experience in the European Theater of war.
Bill Fulk World War II Memoir
In this memoir, entitled "Why Me?," Bill Fulk describes his experiences before, during, and after World War -- with a strong emphasis on the time he spent in German Concentration camps.
Edgar Wilson WWII Reunion Scrapbook
This collection houses Edgar Wilson's scrapbook documenting a 1992 reunion of the 2nd Battalion of the 319th Infantry (nicknamed the Wreckin' Second). The scrapbook contains primarily letters and flyers showing the planning of the event, which took place in Pigeon Forge and Knoxville on May 14, 1992, and photographs from the reunion. Also included is some information on the battalion's history.
Edward Feagins World War II Memoir
The Edward Feagins World War II Memoir, 1943-1946, entitled A Country Boy in World War Two chronicles Feagins's experiences in World War II. The narrative covers drafting, boot camp, war, and his return home.
General Braxton Bragg Letter
General Braxton Bragg wrote this letter to Major W. W. Bliss from camp near Monterey, Mexico on April 18, 1847. In it, he discusses the third division of infantry and his need for more recruits.
Historical and Pictorial Review, 117th Infantry, 30th Infantry Division, Army of the United States: Fort Jackson, South Carolina
This collection contains a copy of Historical and Pictorial Review, 30th Infantry Division, Army of the United States: Fort Jackson, South Carolina, 1941, as presented to Sgt. Bill Purdom, 117th Infantry, 30th Division. It is a yearbook for the 30th Division and the 117th Infantry, and includes historical information.
J. J. G. Smith Letter
J. J. G. Smith's letter to his brother (January 2, 1838) discusses his upcoming travels as a river boat captain. He also considers the benefits of taking a job on shore or continuing to work on the river.
John S. Hurst Narrative
In this narrative, John S. Hurst describes his time in the U. S. Army from his induction in July of 1944 to his discharge in August of 1945. He mentions his service replenishing ammunition during the Battle of the Bulge and details many of his struggles, including the frostbite and pneumonia that finally sent him home. The collection also houses a copy of a photograph of Hurst in his uniform.
Mark Reardon Collection
The Mark Reardon Collection is composed of research regarding the Battle of Mortain (France) that Reardon assembled while writing Victory at Mortain: Stopping Hitler's Panzer Counteroffensive (2002). This material consists of unit reports (Box 2, Folders 49, 50, Box 3, Folders 1-42), declassified orders (Box 2, Folders 42, 43), written interviews with survivors (Box 1, Folders 63-67), and histories of the different battalions involved (Box 1, Folders 3-26, 45-58).
Richard Thomas Alexander Oral History
The Richard Thomas Alexander Oral History, 2003, is a typescript from an oral history interview with Richard Alexander by Dr. Kurt Piehler and Jake White of the University of Tennessee for the Veteran's Oral History Project conducted by the Center for the Study of War and Society. The interview focuses primarily on his World War II experiences, but also covers pre-war and post-war periods.
Robert Morris Travis Papers
This collection contains the papers, photographs, diaries, and personal effects of Robert Morris Travis, who served as a private, corporal, and sergeant in the U. S. Army's 4th Infantry for thirty years. Among these materials are copies of Morris's book, Sketches from the History of an Adventurous Life, which describes his time in Cuba and the Philippines during the Spanish-American War.
Warren C. Giles’s “Company B, 117th Infantry”
This collection includes two typed copies of Warren Giles’s work, “Company B, 117th Infantry.” As noted in the preface, this work is a “narrative of events of Company B, 117th Infantry, 30th Infantry Division, Tennessee National Guard from April 1921 to November 24, 1945.”
- Subject: United States. Army. Infantry. X
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 5
- United States. Army. 3
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 30th -- History. 3
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 4th. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 3
- United States. Army. Infantry. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- France. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Regimental histories -- United States. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 2
- Ardennes, Battle of the, 1944-1945. 1
- Cherokee Indians -- Southern States. 1
- Fort Jackson (S.C.) -- History -- 20th century. 1
- Henry County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Mexican War, 1846-1848 -- Campaigns -- Mexico. 1
- Mexican War, 1846-1848. 1
- Mortain, Battle of, Mortain, France, 1944. 1
- Spanish-American War, 1898 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Spanish-American War, 1898. 1
- Tennessee River -- Commerce. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 319th. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 78th. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 84th. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 143rd. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 314th. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 83rd. 1
- Washington (State) -- History. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Concentration camps -- Germany. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, German. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 1 ∧ less