Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 58
This collection includes five issues of The Excrowderlite News, a publication for service members who were stationed at Camp Crowder, Missouri during World War II. These issues date from 1983 to 1985. The newsletters include member updates and addresses as well as photographs and recollections written by members about their time at Camp Crowder.
This collection contains documents pertaining to Andrew E. McGill, Private First Class in the U.S. Army during World War II until being officially and honorably discharged in 1945.
This collection includes one photocopy of Arthur B. Cox Jr.’s autobiography, “Escape through Enemy Territory.” The story details Cox’s service with the U. S. Army Air Corps during World War II in the European Theater, including his experience of being shot down over France, spending time with a French family before escaping to Spain, and spending a month in a Spanish prison before being rescued.
This collection documents Auburn W. Herron Jr.'s military service during World War II and the Korean Conflict. The collection contains a photocopy of a flight logbook, documenting August 1944 to June 1945 and kept by a crewmembers of Herron's, David McKnight. Also included is background information written by McKnight providing details of Herron's life during the war. Lastly, the collection contains a CD-ROM of photographs taken by Herron 1950 to 1956 during the Korean Conflict.
This collection contains Benjamin F. Witt Jr.'s military documents and photographs from his time in the U.S. Navy during World War II, particularly while serving on the USS Moffett. The photos show work and recreational time of the service members as well as views from aboard the ship. The documents include Witt's identification card, training course certificates, newsletters and reports related to the Moffett., and other military paperwork.
These papers document Cecil Staley’s service with the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II in the Pacific Theatre of Operations. Included are Staley’s typed accounts of his missions in Japan from December 1944 to July 1945.
This collection includes V-mail correspondence sent by Charles Warr during 1944 from France and Germany. In these four notes to his future wife Virginia Campbell, Warr comments on conditions and the status of the war.
This collection contains letters, newspaper clippings, and records from Charles Henry Hatchett, Private First Class in the 137th Armored Ordnance Maintenance Battalion. He served in Europe during World War II from 1945-1946.
This collection features three newspaper clippings about Lieutenant Charles O. Rainwater's crash landing in April of 1943 in Central America during World War II. The collection also houses a map of France sent to Rainwater's father with an accompanying letter, dated May 19, 1943, and several undated photographs of Rainwater, his plane, and the plane wreckage.
This collection consists of a newspaper article from a 1984 edition of Inside TVA regarding the military service and awards of Clifford Hambick, a soldier in the U.S. Army during World War II.
This collection consists photographs and press clippings of Clifton B. Cates. He served in both World War I and II in the United States Marine Corps. Cates was the 19th Commandant of the United States Marine Corps from 1948-1951.
In this interview with Kurt Piehler and Seth Womack of the Center for the Study of War and Society, Clinton E. Riddle discusses his childhood on an East Tennessee farm and his service during World War II, including his training, flying gliders, ground combat, and leave in Paris. The conversation took place on March 19, 2002.
This collection features various military documents, photographs, and books from David F. Ross, a Lieutenant in the 5th Air Force deployed in the Pacific Theater during World War II.
This collection contains letters, sympathy cards, military science and tactics handbooks, and newspapers from Dewey Murphy's military service in Europe during World War II.
This collection consists of a photocopy of Donald B. Heffron's handwritten, personal account of his World War II experiences as a Marine Raider. The manuscript begins with his last few years in high school and ends circa 1946. Also available is a press clipping from The Knoxville News-Sentinel, part of an advertising supplement in the September 6, 1998, issue on Townsend, TN.
This collection includes photographs, maps, papers, newspapers, documents, booklets, and other publications kept by Brig. General Dwight L. McReynolds during his service in World War II (European Theater) and shortly after.
This collection is a printed manuscript for “Tennesseans at War: World War II” written in November 1985 largely by Forrest Shoup. The publication was compiled as an effort by the Education Department of the Tennessee State Museum and was used in conjunction with their traveling exhibits program. As stated in the document's introduction: "Written for educators and their students, this manual will serve to acquaint readers with the contributions of the Volunteer State in World War II."
A bound copy of The Flawed and the Damned, a publication written by Tennessee veteran Forrest O. Shoup in 1979 that examines the history and development of the Schutzstaffel (SS).
This collection contains copies of photographs, copies of newspaper articles, and documents related to World War II veteran Fred V. Brown’s experience in the Pacific Theater of war.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 57
- United States. Army. 22
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 13
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 12
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 11
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 11
- United States. Navy. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 7
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence. 6
- United States. Army Air Forces. 5
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 5
- United States. Marine Corps. 5
- World War, 1939-1945. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Aerial operations, American. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa, North. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Casualties -- United States. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care. 3
- United States. Air Force. 2
- United States. Army -- Medals, badges, decorations, etc. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Germany. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations, American. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Photography. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Press coverage. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Regimental histories -- United States. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Tennessee. 2
- Camp Crowder (Mo.) 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Medical care. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Participation, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Photography. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 1
- Morgan County (Tenn.) 1
- Soil surveys -- Japan. 1
- Tennessee -- Economic policy. 1
- Tennessee -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950. 1
- United States. Army -- Airborne troops. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 9th. 1
- United States. Army. Corps of Engineers. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 30th -- History. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Alumni and alumnae. 1
- V-mail. 1
- Veterans -- Tennessee. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Veterans -- United States. 1
- World War, 1914-1918. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Japan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Germany -- Propaganda. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Japan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, African American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Periodicals. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Philippines. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women -- United States. 1 ∧ less
- American Red Cross 1