Showing Collections: 261 - 280 of 283
W. Lewis Wood Oral History
This folder contains the transcript of an interview with W. Lewis Wood, dated 3 August 2002, conducted in Memphis, Tenn., by Kurt Piehler and Nashwa Van Houts of the Veteran's Oral History Project. Wood discusses his childhood in Memphis, his experiences as an engineering student at the University of Tennessee, and his time serving in the US Navy and Army during World War II and the Korean War, respectively.
W. Ralph Lufkin Collection
This collection includes correspondence, manuscripts, and other documents on Wendell Ralph Lufkin's World War II experience in the European theatre.
Wallace McGee Collection
Wallace McGee's collection feature multiple comics and news articles from World War II. Also included are cards sent to McGee during his service and illustrated postcards of life in the service.
Walter C. Johnson Collection
This collection features a birth announcement created by Walter C. Johnson to announce the arrival of his daughter while he served in World War II.
Walter Goolsby Collection
The Walter Goolsby Collection includes correspondence to family and other officers, newspapers, photographs, and military and veteran documents from the 1940s and the late 1980s.
Walter Lassen Collection
This collection contains several copies of the "Chandelle," a publication from the Station Hospital in Moody Field, Georgia from 1944 and 1945 regarding its Convalescent Training Program. Also included is a Toastmasters address, a letter from Walter Lassen, and a Station Hospital Booklet.
Walter M. Higgs Papers
This collection consists of an address book, correspondence, enlistment and honorable discharge records, photographs, press clippings, and a promotion list from Walter M. Higgs' service in the United States Army Air Force during World War II. Higgs served in the Pacific Theater as part of the 17th Bomber Squadron 27th Bombardment Group and was a POW in Japan.
Washington M. Davis Collection
This collection features a copy of Love, War, and Hate written by Washington M. Davis about his World War II experience.
Wesley Baker Maps
This collection includes five cloth maps of areas in Asia used during World War II.
William B. Allen Papers
This collection consists of William B. Allen's personal World War II materials and includes photographs, press clippings, as well as commemorative materials from his service.
William Clark Collection
This collection includes publications kept by William Clark about the Fifteenth Air Force (established in 1943 during WWII). The three publications are Fifteenth Air Force “Sorties” from 1985, 1986, and 1988.
William E. Austin Manuals
This collection features multiple training manuals, dated during the 1940s, used by William E. Austin and fellow soldiers while training for World War II. These manuals include basic training as well as technical and engineering instructions.
William E. Bobbitt Memoir
This memoir, written in 1996, is William Bobbitt's account of his time fighting in the Pacific Theater during World War II. The manuscript traces his military career from his training with a National Guard Unit in 1941 to his discharge in 1945. During his service, Bobbitt was stationed on many Pacific islands and faced combat in the Philippines.
William F. Baggerman World War II Papers
This collection contains the personal correspondence, memorabilia, and newspaper clippings of William F. Baggerman during his career in the United States Army Air Corps during World War Two. Most of the collection is correspondence between Baggerman and his family, comprised of concerns for family business and the situation at home. The collection spans from early in basic training until the end of the war.
William F. Bopp Papers
This collection includes a 20-page typescript personal narrative of William Bopp’s experiences in World War II. Written in 1990, Bopp recounts his beginnings and training with the military, his experiences overseas in Europe during the war, through his discharge in 1945 and return home.
Also included is a copy of Bopp’s honorable discharge certificate from 1945, and a copy of the “Company A Newsletter” from September 1991 for which Bopp authored the main text.
William G. Keen World War II Papers
These papers document the military training and career of William G. Keen, an Army Air Force lieutenant who served in Europe during and after World War II. The collection includes several years of correspondence, training documents, professional photos, issues of many different magazines and newspapers from his various posts, as well as an assortment of memorabilia saved from service and travel.
William J. Bradley Papers
This collection includes a memoir and photographs documenting William Bradley’s World War II military service. The memoir, “World War Two – My War,” is a typescript document written between 1989 and 1991 detailing Bradley’s journey to and service in the China Burma India Theater of War with the 151st Medical Battalion. Also included are fifteen photographs from this time; a page of handwritten captions accompanies the images.
William L. Koob Papers
World War II Collection
This segment of the World War II Collection houses material from several Pearl Harbor survivors in addition to donations from former prisoners of war. Of particular interest are the personal interviews with veterans recorded on cassette tapes. A significant number of maps and bombardment charts may be found in the oversize section.
“World War II Experiences of Major Arthur C. Avery”
A seven-page typed memoir of Arthur C. Avery’s experiences with the 12th Armored Division during World War II. His recollections include his time training and serving overseas, particularly in France.
- Subject: Veterans -- United States. X
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 268
- United States. Army. 69
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 61
- World War, 1939-1945. 52
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 39
- United States. Navy. 31
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 29
- United States. Army Air Forces. 24
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence. 23
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 23
- United States. Air Force. 22
- United States. Marine Corps. 20
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 14
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 13
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- France. 10
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 10
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, Female. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Photography. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Ocean. 8
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Periodicals. 8
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Veterans -- United States. 7
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa, North. 7
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Japan. 7
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Hospitals. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women -- United States. 6
- Veterans -- United States. 5
- United States. Army Nurse Corps. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Aerial operations, American. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Japan. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Maps. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations -- Submarine. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations, American. 4
- Oral history -- United States. 3
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941. 3
- Photographs. 3
- United States. Air Force -- History. 3
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 15th. 3
- United States. Army. Division, 80th. 3
- Veterans -- Tennessee. 3
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Asia. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Germany. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Philippines. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Philippines. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women. 3
- Correspondence. 2
- Hiroshima-shi (Japan) -- History -- Bombardment, 1945. 2
- Iwo Jima, Battle of, Japan, 1945. 2
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American. 2
- Korean War, 1950-1953. 2
- Louisiana -- History. 2
- Prisoners of war 2
- Prisoners of war -- Germany. 2
- United States. Army -- Medals, badges, decorations, etc. 2
- United States. Army. Armored Division, 8th. 2
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Alumni and alumnae. 2
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. 2
- V-mail. 2
- Veterans -- United States -- Interviews. 2
- Veterans -- United States -- Societies, etc. 2
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- France. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Burma. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- France -- Normandy. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Casualties -- United States. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care -- Great Britain. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, African American. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, German. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, Japanese. 2
- Agricultural education. 1
- Air pilots, Military -- United States. 1
- Airlift, Military -- United States. 1
- Anzio Beachhead, 1944. 1
- Ardennes, Battle of the, 1944-1945. 1
- Arnhem, Battle of, Arnhem, Netherlands, 1944. 1
- Atomic bomb -- Japan -- Hiroshima-shi. 1
- Atomic bomb -- United States -- History. 1
- Baptists -- Missions -- Africa. 1
- Camp Crowder (Mo.) 1
- Cerignola (Italy). 1
- Child health services -- United States. 1
- Cold War. 1
- Dollmakers -- United States. 1
- Ecuador -- Aerial photographs. 1
- Education, Higher -- Tennessee. 1
- Enterprise (Aircraft carrier : CV-6). 1
- Eugenics -- United States -- History -- 20th century. 1
- France -- Social life and customs -- 20th century. 1
- Gardening 1
- Germany -- History -- 1945-1955. 1
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 1918-1945. 1
- Great Depression. 1
- Guadalcanal, Battle of, Solomon Islands, 1942-1943 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Guided missiles -- Design and construction. 1
- Handicraft -- Tennessee. 1 ∧ less
- English 281
- German 1
- Japanese 1