Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 48
Affidavits for Edgar Johnson
This collection contains two handwritten affidavits, one incomplete and the other a copy of a notarized version, attesting to the hardships faced by Edgar Johnson's wife and daughter while he is away from home in the army.
Arnold W. MacKerer Papers
B. Carroll Reece Papers
The B. Carroll Reece Papers, 1921-1944, consists of letters and envelopes to or concerning George S. C. Slagle of Jonesboro, Tenn., or dealing with disabled WWI soldiers. It also includes a copy of the book about the contested Congressional election between Reece and O. B. Lovette in 1932.
B. W. Morse Letter
Sergeant B. W. Morse wrote this 13 page letter to his father from St. Julien, France on November 24, 1918. He assures his father that he is still alive and kicking and anxious to be in the U.S.A. Because Morse was writing weeks after the Armistice, he is able to divulge small amounts of information about his travels and service. He mentions submarine movements and depth bombs, but concentrates on his desire to return home and spend Christmas with his family.
Baron Burnham Manuscript Regarding World War I
Baron Burnham (Harry Levy-Lawson) wrote this manuscript for publication in his newspaper, The Daily Telegraph, on December 28, 1917. In it, he applauds the United States' decision to enter World War I.
Bernadotte E. Schmitt Papers
This collection houses photographs, photograph albums, correspondence, diplomas, newspaper clippings, and published works documenting Bernadotte E. Schmitt's family, time at the University of Tennessee, participation in the Rhodes Scholarship Program, and later career.
C. M. Figley Letter
This February 2, 1918, letter from C. M. Figley at Camp Sevier in Greenville, South Carolina, discusses the daily activities of a young man at a training camp during World War I.
Calahan Family Postcards
The eight postcards in this collection are to and from members of the Calahan family, mostly from Arthur Calahan or to Gertie Calahan, between the years 1916 and ca. 1941.
Carl Nelson Mozingo Letter
This collection consists of a letter written by Corporal Carl Nelson Mozingo to his father. The letter is sent from France, where Mozingo served as a member of the American Expeditionary Force, and is dated November 24, 1918, shortly after the Armistice.
Clarence B. Hollander Court Martial Papers
This collection, the Clarence B. Hollander Court Martial Papers, 1918, contains two copies of summaries for the court martial of Clarence B. Hollander, who was absent from his Battery for almost a month. The documents list the events of the trial but are unsigned and contain no verdict.
Clifton B. Cates Military Service Collection
This collection consists photographs and press clippings of Clifton B. Cates. He served in both World War I and II in the United States Marine Corps. Cates was the 19th Commandant of the United States Marine Corps from 1948-1951.
Clyde M. Figley Letter
This collection consists of a letter from Clyde M. Figley to his family sent on May 5, 1918 from Camp Sevier. He discusses life in training camp and his belief that he will not be sent overseas.
B Training Detachment Photograph
This framed photograph shows the Company B Training Detachment from the University of Tennessee in formation on the grounds of Chilhowee Park in Knoxville, Tennessee. A note in the lower right hand corner reads Thompson Photo 4 Knoxville.
Corporal Alfred Pickard Letter
This collection contains World War I correspondence of Corporal Alfred Pickard, 159th Aero Squadron, American Expeditionary Force, to Mother and all. It is dated December 11, 1918. Letter includes details about Cpl. Fitzgerald's R&R in the French resort town of Aix Les Blain from December 11-19, 1918.
Earle Wright Letters
Earle Wright wrote these letters to his family in Cortland, New York in July and August of 1917. In them, he discusses his life at a training camp in Chattanooga, Tennessee during World War I. Most of the correspondence is addressed to E. R. Wright or to Laura Wright, but it is meant for the entire family to read.
Edgar Johnson Letters
This collection consists of three letters written from Newburn, Tennessee, between December 4, 1917 and March 28, 1918 by Edgar Johnson of Company E of the 306th Ammunition Train (81st Division). The letters are addressed to Johnson's wife, Etta, and daughter, Lila, and discuss camp life, life at home, and the possibility of returning home for a visit.
Edgar Johnson Letters
This collection houses three 1918 letters written by Edgar Johnson at Camp Jackson in Columbia, S.C., to his wife Etta and daughter Lila Johnson in Newbern, Tenn. The letters mainly document his daily activities and conversations with others. He also expresses his distaste for war and his longing to return home.
Ernest Ely Papers
The collection consists of the memoirs, correspondence, photographs, press clippings, and military documents concerning the naval career and death of Ernest Ely.
Eugene M. Wilson Papers
This collection consists of letters written to Eugene M. Wilson while he served in World War I, Wilson's field book, and a clipping of Wilson and Maude Pritchard's marriage announcement.
Everett R. Cook Diary
This collection consists of the typed diary of Everett R. Cook in which he discusses his service as a pilot in the Officers' Signal Reserve Corps and with the 91st Aero Squadron on the Western Front during World War I. He begins by describing his trip overseas and goes on to chronicle his unit's movements, camp life, and some of his flights. The diary ends when Cook is discharged and begins his trip home.
- World War, 1914-1918. 18
- World War, 1914-1918 -- United States. 17
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives, American. 7
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Veterans -- United States. 7
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- France. 6
- Gibson County (Tenn.) -- History. 3
- United States. Army. 3
- Camp Sevier (S.C.) 2
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Nashville (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Soldiers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence. 2
- United States. Navy. 2
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville. 2
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Portraits. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 2
- American literature -- 20th century. 1
- American literature -- Southern States. 1
- Asheville (N.C.) -- History. 1
- Asheville (N.C.) -- Social life and customs. 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century. 1
- Authors, American -- Tennessee. 1
- Bankruptcy -- United States. 1
- Chattanooga (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Child health services -- United States. 1
- Columbia (S.C.) -- History. 1
- Education, Secondary -- Tennessee. 1
- Eugenics -- United States -- History -- 20th century. 1
- Giles County (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Greene County (Tenn.) -- Commerce. 1
- Justice, Administration of -- Tennessee. 1
- Legal documents -- United States. 1
- Military discharge -- United States. 1
- Military education -- Tennessee. 1
- Military pay 1
- Nashville (Tenn.) -- Social life and customs. 1
- Newspapers -- England -- London. 1
- Obituaries -- Tennessee. 1
- Panoramic photographs 1
- Photographs -- 20th century. 1
- Presidents -- United States -- Correspondence. 1
- Protestantism -- History. 1
- Soldiers -- Kentucky -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- Massachusetts -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- New York (State) -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers -- United States. 1
- Tennessee -- Fiction. 1
- Trials (Military offenses) -- United States. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1901-1953. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1919-1933. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1933-1953. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1953-1961. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 19th century. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 20th century -- Congresses 1
- United States. Army -- Ordnance and ordnance stores -- History. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. 1
- United States. Marine Corps. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Alumni and alumnae. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- History. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Pictorial works. 1
- Veterans -- Tennessee. 1
- Veterans -- United States. 1
- Women -- Societies and clubs. 1
- Women publishers 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Aerial operations, American. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Regimental histories -- United States. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Social aspects -- United States. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Tennessee -- Fiction. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- United States -- Personal narratives. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Women. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Philippines. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Propaganda. 1
- World War, 1939-1945. 1 ∧ less