Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 42
This collection contains documents pertaining to Andrew E. McGill, Private First Class in the U.S. Army during World War II until being officially and honorably discharged in 1945.
This collection includes one photocopy of Arthur B. Cox Jr.’s autobiography, “Escape through Enemy Territory.” The story details Cox’s service with the U. S. Army Air Corps during World War II in the European Theater, including his experience of being shot down over France, spending time with a French family before escaping to Spain, and spending a month in a Spanish prison before being rescued.
These papers document Cecil Staley’s service with the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II in the Pacific Theatre of Operations. Included are Staley’s typed accounts of his missions in Japan from December 1944 to July 1945.
This collection includes V-mail correspondence sent by Charles Warr during 1944 from France and Germany. In these four notes to his future wife Virginia Campbell, Warr comments on conditions and the status of the war.
This collection features three newspaper clippings about Lieutenant Charles O. Rainwater's crash landing in April of 1943 in Central America during World War II. The collection also houses a map of France sent to Rainwater's father with an accompanying letter, dated May 19, 1943, and several undated photographs of Rainwater, his plane, and the plane wreckage.
This collection consists of a newspaper article from a 1984 edition of Inside TVA regarding the military service and awards of Clifford Hambick, a soldier in the U.S. Army during World War II.
This collection consists photographs and press clippings of Clifton B. Cates. He served in both World War I and II in the United States Marine Corps. Cates was the 19th Commandant of the United States Marine Corps from 1948-1951.
In this interview with Kurt Piehler and Seth Womack of the Center for the Study of War and Society, Clinton E. Riddle discusses his childhood on an East Tennessee farm and his service during World War II, including his training, flying gliders, ground combat, and leave in Paris. The conversation took place on March 19, 2002.
This collection features various military documents, photographs, and books from David F. Ross, a Lieutenant in the 5th Air Force deployed in the Pacific Theater during World War II.
This collection consists of a photocopy of Donald B. Heffron's handwritten, personal account of his World War II experiences as a Marine Raider. The manuscript begins with his last few years in high school and ends circa 1946. Also available is a press clipping from The Knoxville News-Sentinel, part of an advertising supplement in the September 6, 1998, issue on Townsend, TN.
This collection includes photographs, maps, papers, newspapers, documents, booklets, and other publications kept by Brig. General Dwight L. McReynolds during his service in World War II (European Theater) and shortly after.
A bound copy of The Flawed and the Damned, a publication written by Tennessee veteran Forrest O. Shoup in 1979 that examines the history and development of the Schutzstaffel (SS).
This collection contains copies of photographs, copies of newspaper articles, and documents related to World War II veteran Fred V. Brown’s experience in the Pacific Theater of war.
This collection gives a glimpse into the life of the Freytag family, a miltary family from Wartburg, TN. The collection includes correspondence, press clippings, photographs, and certificates regarding the Freytag children, Albert Jr., Fred, and Maxwell. Albert Jr. was enlisted in the U.S. Marines, Fred was enlisted in the U.S. Navy, and Maxwell was enlisted in the U.S. Army. All materials are photocopies, donated by the family matriarch, Ethel H. Freytag.
This collection includes a transcript of an interview with George Lawson, World War II veteran, and the subsequent news article written about his service.
This collection consists of correspondence, photographs, press clippings, recollections, and ephemera collected by Evelyn Hogins concerning World War II. It also includes material concerning Evelyn's mother, Annie Hogins, and Evelyn's brothers: Clifford, Lawrence "Buster", and Marshall Hogins. The brothers all served in the U.S. military. A significant portion of the collection is comprised of photocopies.
This collection consists of a folder that contains letters and a transcription of the diary belonging to Howard O. Lane, bomber in the U.S. Air Force during World War II.
- United States. Army. 18
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 11
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 11
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 8
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 7
- United States. Navy. 6
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 5
- United States. Army Air Forces. 4
- United States. Marine Corps. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Aerial operations, American. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 3
- World War, 1939-1945. 3
- United States. Air Force. 2
- United States. Army -- Medals, badges, decorations, etc. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa, North. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Germany. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Casualties -- United States. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Regimental histories -- United States. 2
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Medical care. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Participation, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 1
- Morgan County (Tenn.) 1
- Soil surveys -- Japan. 1
- Tennessee -- Economic policy. 1
- Tennessee -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950. 1
- United States. Army -- Airborne troops. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 9th. 1
- United States. Army. Corps of Engineers. 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 30th -- History. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Alumni and alumnae. 1
- V-mail. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Veterans -- United States. 1
- World War, 1914-1918. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Japan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Germany -- Propaganda. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Japan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, African American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Periodicals. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Philippines. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Photography. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Press coverage. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Tennessee. 1 ∧ less