Showing Collections: 161 - 180 of 246
This collection includes a photocopy of a handwritten letter written to Lewis B. Fox during World War II. The letter, penned by “Mrs. O.J. Brown” of Knoxville, Tennessee, comments on Fox’s time with Brown’s son in a hospital during the war. Also included is a copy of a 1975 article on Fox’s life and death.
This collection is a typed transcript of a speech given by Lindsey Nelson to the East Tennessee Historical Society. Nelson recounts his experiences leading up to and serving during World War II.
This collection consists of a transcript of an interview with Lonas Tarr by G. Kurt Piehler and Kathryn P. O'Donnell conducted on March 7, 2003 in Knoxville, Tennessee as part of the Center for the Study of War and Society's Veteran's Oral History Project. Tarr speaks of his childhood in Jefferson City, his experiences in the Air Force during World War II, and his postwar life working as an American Airlines pilot in Europe.
This collection contains a sketch by World War II U. S. Army veteran M. H. Kunselman of a battle scene in Belgium.
This collection houses military records documenting Major Lawrence S. Barker's service in the United States Marine Corps (1942-1946) and United States Marine Corps Reserves (1946-1964). The collection also includes military publications, photographs, postcards, correspondence, and ephemera from the World War II era.
This collection features documents, news articles, and photographs from Marinell St. Clair Eldredge's participation in the 1945 Aviation Psychology Program Flight Project at the University of Tennessee. She was certified as a pilot for the U.S. Air Forces in 1945.
Collection includes 3 issues of a newsletter, Cobbie's Chatter, put together by World War II soldier Marion Cobb to provide updates to friends and family. Also included are two photocopied newspaper clippings.
This collection contains papers, documents, and a scrapbook related to World War II veteran Mathias C. Helbach’s experience during the war in both the Mediterranean and European Theaters.
This collection consists of Maurice Park's personal papers, correspondence, military documents, military honors, and photographs from his service in World War II. Also available are materials concerning the commendation to Eastern Command on Sept. 22, 1944, and the 50th Anniversary celebration of V-E day in Moscow.
The Melvin Carr Oral History, 2001, is a typescript from an oral history interview with Melvin Carr by Dr. Kurt Piehler and Nashwa Van Houts of the University of Tennessee for the Veteran's Oral History Project conducted by the Center for the Study of War and Society. The interview focuses primarily on his World War II experiences, but also covers pre-war and post-war periods.
This collection features William A. Romeiser's personal narrative, Memories of World War II Experiences, written about his service in the European theatre during World War II.
This collection contains three separate command operation orders and instructions from Morton Gubin's time serving in World War II in the Pacific Theater.
The Moss C. Brown Papers collection consists of four photographs of an unknown unit. It also includes an order to report for induction, a brief description of ships Moss Brown boarded during his enlistment in World War II along with dates, and an insurance document from the Ninth Marine Reserve District. Also available are press clippings.
This collection features eight newspaper clippings from the Milwaukee Journal discussing the efforts of American soldiers in World War II in 1944.
This collection contains a time table of the 559th Anti-Aircraft Artillery (Automatic Weapons) Batallion, dated from July 16, 1944 to July 19, 1945. The record documents the various stops and destinations of the 559th AAA as well as the times of arrival and departure.
This collection includes typed biographical notes and a short memoir as well as photocopies of photographs and articles all documenting the life and World War II service of Neil Schultz.
This collection contains the publications of World War II veteran Nick Christodoulou Jr., including his memoir.
A copy of North Callahan’s article, “The Biggest Screwball Outfit in the Army: The Recruiting Publicity Bureau of the United States Army Was a Beehive of Important Activity in World War II But Also at Times a Barrel of Fun,” which appeared in Officer Review.
This collection includes news articles, currency, and photographs from Oliver Summers's service during World War II. Also included are his graduation invitations and an installation of officers pamphlet from Summers's 1953 commencement ceremonies at UT Memphis.
This collection includes several letters penned by Omar L. Ash, mainly to his mother and Lela Ann, during his World War II service. Other letters included are addressed from Ash's commanders.
- United States. Army. 63
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 53
- World War, 1939-1945. 50
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 36
- United States. Navy. 29
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 26
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Europe. 23
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence. 22
- United States. Air Force. 21
- United States. Army Air Forces. 21
- United States. Marine Corps. 20
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 12
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 11
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Photography. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Ocean. 8
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care. 8
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Periodicals. 8
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa, North. 7
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- France. 7
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Japan. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, Female. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Hospitals. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Japan. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Maps. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations -- Submarine. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations, American. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women -- United States. 4
- Correspondence. 3
- Oral history -- United States. 3
- Photographs. 3
- United States. Air Force -- History. 3
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 15th. 3
- United States. Army Nurse Corps. 3
- United States. Army. Division, 80th. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Aerial operations, American. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Philippines. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Philippines. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women. 3
- Hiroshima-shi (Japan) -- History -- Bombardment, 1945. 2
- Iwo Jima, Battle of, Japan, 1945. 2
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 2
- Korean War, 1950-1953. 2
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941. 2
- Prisoners of war 2
- Prisoners of war -- Germany. 2
- United States. Army. Armored Division, 8th. 2
- V-mail. 2
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Asia. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Burma. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- France -- Normandy. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Germany. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Casualties -- United States. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care -- Great Britain. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, African American. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, German. 2
- Agricultural education. 1
- Air pilots, Military -- United States. 1
- Airlift, Military -- United States. 1
- Anzio Beachhead, 1944. 1
- Ardennes, Battle of the, 1944-1945. 1
- Arnhem, Battle of, Arnhem, Netherlands, 1944. 1
- Atomic bomb -- Japan -- Hiroshima-shi. 1
- Atomic bomb -- United States -- History. 1
- Baptists -- Missions -- Africa. 1
- Cerignola (Italy). 1
- Dollmakers -- United States. 1
- Ecuador -- Aerial photographs. 1
- Ecuador. 1
- Education, Higher -- Tennessee. 1
- Enterprise (Aircraft carrier : CV-6). 1
- France -- Social life and customs -- 20th century. 1
- Gardening 1
- Germany -- History -- 1945-1955. 1
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 1918-1945. 1
- Great Depression. 1
- Guadalcanal, Battle of, Solomon Islands, 1942-1943 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Guided missiles -- Design and construction. 1
- Handicraft -- Tennessee. 1
- Jefferson City (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Lawyers -- Tennessee. 1
- Letters. 1
- Leyte Gulf, Battle of, Philippines, 1944. 1
- Louisiana -- History. 1
- Memphis Belle (B-17 bomber) 1
- Missionaries -- Africa, Sub-Saharan. 1
- Morgan County (Tenn.) 1
- Nagasaki-shi (Japan) -- History -- Bombardment, 1945. 1
- New York (N.Y.) -- Aerial views. 1
- Nuclear facilities -- United States. 1
- Oak Ridge (Tenn.) 1
- Operation Torch, 1942. 1
- Paris (France) -- History -- 1940-1944. 1
- Photographs -- 20th century. 1 ∧ less